gobi paratha recipe with step by step photos – gobi paratha is another popular paratha from punjab along with aloo paratha and pyaaz ka paratha. gobi paratha is often made for breakfast in punjabi homes as well as served in restaurants and punjabi dhabas.
honestly speaking, i had never eaten gobi paratha ever before marriage. my mom never made it nor i had it at the restaurants. after marriage, i was treated to a different varieties of parathas for breakfast. this is how and where i learnt how to make cauliflower/gobi paratha.
i knew how to make aloo paratha but not gobi paratha. i always thought it was very difficult and honestly never ever tried to make it. it was after i saw my mom-in-law making the gobi paratha, did i realize it is very easy and not at all difficult.
i learnt and saw my mom in law making so many parathas … i did not know that such parathas existed: like chana dal paratha, ajwain/carom seeds paratha… not only i learnt these recipes but also the well known mooli paratha, methi paratha and paneer paratha.
the recipe of this gobi paratha is the way we make it home. it is an easy recipe, as no previous cooking of the gobi/cauliflower is involved.
the gobi is grated finely. i usually use a hand grater for this purpose and avoid grating in the food processor which i have. for some reason, the food processor gratings are larger than the hand grated ones. the gobi/caulifower has to be grated finely or otherwise when making the parathas, they break.
gobi paratha recipe below:
gobi paratha is a popular north indian paratha recipe. गोभी पराठा- एक लोकप्रिय उत्तर भारतीय पराठा की रेसिपी।
- 3 cups कप wheat flour गेंहूँ का आटा (atta) (आटा)
- 1 cup कप water पानी or more if required या ज़रुरत के अनुसार
- salt नमक (optional) स्वादानुसार
- ghee or oil as required घी या तेल ज़रुरत के अनुसार (optional) (स्वादानुसार)
- ½ cauliflower head, गोभी के फूल grated finely (gobi) अच्छी तरह से कद्दूकस किया हुआ (गोभी)
- 1 green chili, हरी मिर्च chopped finely (hari mirch) बारीक कटी हुई हरी मिर्च
- garam masala powder as required गरम मसाला पाउडर स्वादानुसार
- red chili powder as required लाल मिर्च पाउडर स्वादानुसार (lal mirch powder) (लाल मिर्च पाउडर)
- salt to taste नमक स्वादानुसार
- ghee as required स्वादानुसार घी (clarified butter) (घी)
- firstly, knead the wheat flour with water to a smooth dough. cover and keep aside.
सबसे पहले आटे को पानी से गूंद लें। आटा बिल्कुल नरम होना चाहिये। गूँदे हुए आटे को ढक कर अलग रख लें।
- grate the cauliflower with a fine grater.
गोभी को कद्दूकस कर लें।
- add chopped green chilies to it and keep aside.
इसमें बारीक कटी हुई हरी मिर्च डालें और अलग रख लें।
- take a medium sized ball from the dough.
गूंदें हुए आटे में से मध्यम आकार के गोले बनायें।
roll out a small disc about 3 inches in diameter from the dough ball.
आटे के गोले से 3 इंच व्यास की रोटी बेल लें।
- add a few tablespoons of the grated gobi/cauliflower mix in the center on top of the rolled out disc. be careful as not to understuff or overstuff the paratha.
बेले हुए रोटी के बीच में कुछ टेबल स्पून गोभी के मिश्रण डालें। गोभी हिसाब से भरें, ना कम ना ज़्यादा।
- bring the edges of the dough, join them and flatten them.
आटे के किनारों को एक साथ मोड़ते हुए बीच में लायें और दबा लें।
- now roll the stuffed parathas gently to a size of a chapati or roti.
अब हल्के हाथ से भरे हुए पराठे को चपाती या रोटी का आकार दे दें।
roast the gobi paratha with ghee till browned and uniformly roasted on both sides.
गोभी पराठा पर घी डालें और दोनों तरफ से अच्छी तरह से सेंक लें।
- serve gobi paratha hot with yogurt, pickle or white butter.
गरमागरम गोभी पराठा को दही, अचार या सफ़ेद मक्खन के साथ परोसें।
lets begin step by step gobi paratha recipe:
1. grate the gobi/cauliflower finely. add some finely chopped green chilies to it.
2. uniformly mix the green chilies with the gobi. keep aside.
3. knead the dough. once the dough is ready, take a medium sized ball from the dough. dust it with some flour on the rolling board.
4. roll it to a size of about 3 inches in diameter. top it with a few tablespoons of the grated gobi/cauliflower mix.
5. sprinkle some salt, red chili powder and garam masala powder on the grated gobi.
6. bring all the edges together of the dough and press them at the center.
7. flatten the pressed edges with your fingers and dust some flour on the stuffed dough. i find this stuffing technique easier than the one where you roll two small puris/rounds and then stuff the cauliflower stuffing between the puris/rounds. but you choose what is easier for you.
i have mentioned both the techniques of stuffing the paratha on my aloo paratha recipe post. newbies can have a look.
8. with a rolling pin, roll very lightly till you get the paratha to a size of a chapati or roti. it doesn’t have to be a perfect circle. look at mine… its not a perfect one… you have to be a little quick enough to roll out the paratha as we have added salt to the gobi and thus it release some water.
so before the liquids are released from the gobi, your paratha should be on the pan… trust me its easy and not at all difficult. once you get the knack of it, you will be a master in making any parathas 🙂
9. place the gobi paratha on a hot griddle, tava or flat pan.
10. when the bottom side is ¼ th cooked, flip the paratha and apply ghee on the cooked side. remember you won’t have neat and clean fingers when making parathas or chapatis… see my fingers… all coated with flour…
11. be liberal with the ghee. a paratha is not complete without ghee and especially good amounts of ghee… so don’t be a miser…
12. flip the second time. so now the side, where ghee is applied goes at the bottom.
13. apply ghee on the second side.
14. flip for the third time and then a fourth time making sure that the gobi paratha is cooked evenly and well browned. make sure that the edges of paratha are cooked well. you can also press the paratha edges with spatula or spoon. if the paratha is fried properly then it will slightly puff up.
Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes