this aloo capsicum recipe is a simple and easy recipe. my mom-in-law’s fab recipe made with capsicum and potatoes.
this is a punjabi recipe of making aloo shimla mirch. a dry vegetable recipe that has no liquids. besides the capsicum and potatoes, just a few indian spice powders are used in this dish. no onions, no tomatoes and no ginger or garlic. this is also a no onion and no garlic recipe.
i first had this spiced dish back at my in law’s place. i am not so fond of capsicum and rarely use them in recipes, even indo chinese ones, where capsicum is almost added.
however, this aloo capsicum recipe is an exception to the rule. I make this often and is one dish where is much relished in the family. apart from this dish, another recipe which i make with capsicum is paneer capsicum gravy.
this aloo capsicum sabzi goes well with chapatis or phulkas or parathas. it can also be served as a side dish with dal-rice combination too.
aloo capsicum or aloo shimla mirch recipe below:
- 3 or 4 medium capsicum/green bell pepper/shimla mirch
- 3 or 4 medium potatoes/aloo
- turmeric powder/haldi - ½ tsp
- red chilli powder/lal mirch powder - ½ to ¾ to tsp or as required
- garam masala powder - ¾ to 1 tsp or as required
- dry mango powder/amchur powder - 1 tsp or as required
- oil - 2 to 3 tbsp (there is an extra oil that we add, so that the veggies become slightly crisp)
- salt - as required
- rinse both the veggies. dice or chop the capsicum/shimla mirch. peel and dice or slice the potatoes.
- dice the potatoes into small pieces or slice them a little thin, as then they are easier and faster to cook.
- in a wok or kadai, add oil. once the oil becomes medium hot, first add the potatoes.
- saute the potatoes in oil, till they are half cooked and start looking crisp from the edges.
- then add the capsicum.
- saute the both the veggies in the oil keeping the flame low.
- now add turmeric powder, red chilli powder except garam masala powder and amchur powder.
- let the vegetables gently get sauted in the oil on a slow flame without any lid for 2-3 minutes.
- cover the kadai or wok with a lid.
- remember to check it after a few minutes or so. this is so that the vegetables don't get burnt.
- when the vegetables are cooked, add garam masala powder and amchur powder.
- stir well and serve aloo capsicum hot with phulkas or rotis.
- this aloo capsicum sabzi can also be served as a side vegetable or dish.