bharwan tendli or bharwan tindora recipe with step by step photos – a spiced dry preparation made with ivy gourds.
this is the next stuffed veggie recipe after the stuffed bhindi that i posted recently. i was on a cooking spree for the whole of march and made so many things. however, could not take photos of all the indian dishes and drinks i prepared barring for a few of them like this bharwan tindora and bharwan bhindi.
this recipe of stuffed tendli (ivy gourds) is easy. the stuffing here is the dry masala stuffing. this is also a no onion no garlic recipe.
serve bharwan tendli hot with chapatis or phulkas.
bharwan tindora or tendli recipe below:
bharwan tendli recipe | bharwan tindora recipe
ingredients (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 250 grams tendli (tindora or ivy gourds)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- a few chopped coriander leaves for garnishing, optional
for the stuffing:
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala, optional
- salt as required
how to make recipe
- mix all the spice powders with salt and keep aside.
- wash and wipe the tendli/ivy gourds.
- slit the tendli/gourds vertically into four without breaking them.
- stuff the dry masala filling in the tendli.
- in a kadai or wok, heat oil. add cumin and let them splutter.
- once they begun to splutter add the stuffed tendli/ivy gourds.
- leftover masala filling can be sprinkled over the tendli.
- add 2-3 tbsp water. cover the kadai and let the tendli cook till they are done.
- garnish bharwan tendli with cilantro/coriander.
- serve bharwan tendli hot with phulkas or rotis.
you can add less or more spice powders as per your preferences.
step by step bharwan tendli or tindora recipe:
1: take all the dry spice powders in a bowl or small plate.
2: add salt and mix well. keep aside.
3: rinse and wipe the tendli (ivy gourds) with a kitchen towel.
4: slit the tendli (ivy gourds) into four without breaking it. stuff the masala in the tendli.
5: heat oil in a kadai or wok. splutter cumin seeds in the oil. add the stuffed masala tendli (tindora). mix well.
6: now add 2-3 tbsp water. cover the kadai and let the tendli (ivy gourds) cook on a low or medium flame. remember to check in between. if the water dries up add 1 or 2 tbsp water more.
7: more salt if required can be added from the top. once the tendli (ivy gourds) are cooked, garnish bharwan tendli with coriander leaves and serve bharwan tendli hot with chapatis or phulkas.