sabudana khichdi recipe with step by step photos – sabudana khichdi is usually made during fasting days like navratri or mahashivratri or ekadashi. sabudana khichdi is an easy snack and is a good recipe to be made during fasting days but it requires little experience to get the perfect texture in the sabudana pearls.
when you make the sabudana khichdi, you have to adjust the soaking time as per the type of tapioca pearls. for some pearls 2 to 3 hours is fine. for some you don’t even need to soak them in water. just cover the pearls with water for some time and you are done. so do soak the sabudana pearls accordingly.
few more sabudana recipes which you can make for fasting are sabudana vada, sabudana thalipeeth, sabudana ladoo, sabudana pakora, sabudana kheer and sabudana bhel. you might also like to check this post covering rules and recipes for navratri vrat.
in this step by step version of sabudana khichdi, i am showing the overnight soaking method. however, please feel free to adapt the soaking time as per the quality of tapioca pearls you have.
this is a maharashtrian style of making sabudana khichdi. a snack which i have grown up having umpteen times. the khichdi is loaded with carbohydrates and the proteins coming only from peanuts. i have shared another version of maharashtrian sabudana khichdi recipe which is very spicy and made in southern part of maharashtra, where they have really spicy food
sabudana khichdi recipe for fasting below:
- 1 cup sabudana or tapioca pearls
- 2 small to medium size potatoes/aloo
- ½ cup roasted peanuts/moongphali
- 8-10 curry leaves/kadi patta (optional)
- 1 tsp grated ginger/adrak (optional)
- 1 green chili/hari mirch, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin/jeera
- ¼ cup grated fresh coconut (optional)
- ½ to 1 tsp sugar or as required
- ½ to 1 tsp lemon juice or as required (optional)
- 2 tbsp oil
- rock salt as required
- soak sabudana overnight or for 3-5 hours.
- next day drain the sabudana very well and keep aside in a bowl.
- boil the potatoes and when warm peel and chop them.
- in a pan dry roast the peanuts till browned and when cooled make a coarse powder in a mortar-pestle or in a dry grinder.
- mix the coarsely powdered peanuts, salt and sugar with the drained sabudana.
- now heat oil. fry the cumin first till they crackle and get browned.
- now add the curry leaves and green chilies. fry for half a minute and then add the grated ginger.
- stir till the raw smell of the ginger goes away. now add potato and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- add the sabudana. keep on stirring the mixture.
- when the sabudana looses their opaqueness and starts becoming translucent they are cooked.
- don't over cook as they might become lumpy and hard.
- lastly add grated coconut. mix well. close the fire.
- while serving garnish sabudana khichdi with coriander leaves and drizzle with some lemon juice.
- serve sabudana khichdi hot.
step by step sabudana khichdi recipe for fasting:
1: pick and rinse 1 cup sabudana or tapioca pearls a couple of times in water. soak the sabudana in water. in the below pic, the sabudana are soaked and drained. to check if the sabudana have become soft or not, you should be easily able to press the sabudana and it would get mashed up easily. drain the pearls well. depending on the quality of pearls you can soak them overnight or for some hours. i always soak them overnight since even after soaking them for 2 to 3 hours, they don’t soften.
2: roast ½ cup peanuts/moongphali in a microwave or in a pan till they become crisp. keep aside to cool. you can remove the peanut skins if you want.
3: coarsely powder the peanuts in a mortar-pestle.
5: mix the coarsely powdered roasted peanuts, salt and (½ to 1 tsp) sugar with the drained sabudana pearls.
6: heat 2 tbsp oil and crackle 1 tsp cumin.when they are browned add 1 chopped green chilli. fry for half a minute on medium flame.
7: add the chopped boiled potatoes (2 small to medium size potatoes) and saute for a minute or two.
8: add the sabudana and saute till the pearls become translucent on a slow flame stirring continuously.
9: garnish the sabudana khichdi with some coriander leaves, drizzle with ½ to 1 tsp lemon juice and serve the sabudana khichdi hot. you can also add garnish with grated coconut.
few tips for making good sabudana khichdi recipe:
(one of my dear reader, kshema has shared these tips with us)
1. Wash the sabudana pearls in a colander under running water until you feel that all starch is rinsed and washed off.
2. Transfer the washed and drained sabudana to a casserole and sprinkle with little water, just enough to ensure that they are damp.
3. Cover the casserole tight and leave them overnight.
4. In the morning while you prepare for seasoning etc., check on the soaked sabudana and if required you can sprinkle little more water and leave for 30 mins more.
5. Have the peanuts roasted and ground to granules well before. Just before you start cooking, mix the peanut granules and salt with sabudana and rub the pearls well with the mixture.
6. Leave it for about 5 mins. and then add it to the seasoning you have prepared.
another variation to make sabudana khichdi:
(one of our reader, minal has shared this method)
1. I cook the sabudana khichdi in frying pan. it kinds of helps in keeping the tapioca pearls dry and separated. besides having to use very little oil. I have not mentioned the soaking procedure and quantities below as i felt you can use yours.
2. In a pan heat oil, add jeera and curry leaves and fry a little, then add potatoes cut into small cubes and fry on sim till the potatoes cook. alternately you can cover with the lid to speed up the cooking.
3. in the meantime mix together, soaked and drained sabudana (like the recipe mentioned above), crushed peanuts, chopped cilantro, salt, little black pepper powder, red mirchi, chopped green chillies and mix this mixture with hand. keep aside.
4. check if potatoes are cooked and once done add this mixture to the potatoes and mix well.
5. check for salt and drizzle very little water on the mixture and cover and cook on slow fire for 2 mins. open, mix well and enjoy sabudana khichdi with roasted papad.Install Free iOS App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Install Free Android App for Veg Recipes of India Recipes
Share this recipe - Spread the joy of cooking
Follow us on Social Media