sabudana khichdi is one recipe where i have struggled the maximum to get it right. i tried all ways to get that perfect sabudana khichdi…. yet the sabudana khichdi would never be right. most of the times the sabudana or tapioca pearls would be sticky and gluey. sometimes they would become hard and lumpy
i would soak for hours, drain, wipe them dry, add peanuts before… still i would never get separate sabudana pearls. later i realized that this has got more to do with the quality of tapioca pearls. the kind i get here are not that great and they are so hard that i have to soak them overnight.
so when you make this recipe, you have to adjust the soaking time as per the type of tapioca pearls. for some 2-3 hours is fine. for some you don’t even need to soak them in water.. just cover the pearls with water for some time and you are done.
what i have also found is that adding potatoes and peanuts before adding the sabudana, helps the sabudana to be dry & separate. finally i am getting there and learning to make a better sabudana khichdi, if not perfect.
in this step by step version of sabudana khichdi, i am showing the overnight soaking method. however, please feel free to adapt the soaking time as per the quality of tapioca pearls you have.
this is a maharashtrian style of making sabudana khichdi. a snack which i have grown up having umpteen times in mumbai.
along with the sabudana khichdi, i also made sweet potato patties, arbi cutlets and green coriander chutney during this navratri fast. a great carb diet which leads me to think fasting is more of feasting in india
lets start step by step recipe of making sabudana khichdi:
1: pick and rinse the tapioca pearls a couple of times in water. soak the sabudana overnight. in the below pic, the sabudana are already soaked.
2: to check if the tapioca pearls have become soft or not, you should be easily able to press the pearl.
3: drain them.
4: dry them.
5: in another bowl mix chopped boiled potatoes with coarsely powdered roasted peanuts. i have kept the skin of the peanuts on.
6: heat oil and first add cumin.
7: when they are browned add the curry leaves & green chilies. fry for half a minute on medium flame.
8: add the potato-peanuts mixture along with salt & sugar.
6: saute for a couple of minutes.
7: add the sabudana.
8: stir and cook the sabudana till they become translucent.
9: finally add grated coconut and mix well.
10: garnish the sabudana khichdi with some coriander leaves, drizzle with some lemon juice and serve the sabudana khichdi hot.
recipe update 24th Oct 12:
suggestions & tips for making a really good sabudana khichdi with separate tapioca pearls from one of my dear readers, kshema:-
1. Wash the sabudana pearls in a colander under running water until you feel that all starch is rinsed and washed off.
2. Transfer the washed and drained sabudana to a casserole and sprinkle with little water, just enough to ensure that they are damp.
3. Cover the casserole tight and leave them overnight.
4. In the morning while you prepare for seasoning etc., check on the soaked sabudana and if required you can sprinkle little more water and leave for 30 mins more.
5. Have the peanuts roasted and ground to granules well before. Just before you start cooking, mix the peanut granules and salt with sabudana and rub the pearls well with the mixture.
6. Leave it for about 5 mins. and then add it to the seasoning you have prepared.
sabudana khichdi recipe details below:
- 1 cup sabudana or tapioca pearls
- 2 medium size potatoes
- ½ to ¾ cup roasted peanuts
- 12-15 curry leaves
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1-2 green chili, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- ¼ cup grated fresh coconut (optional)
- 1 or 2 tsp lemon juice (optional)
- 2 tbsp oil
- rocks salt and sugar as required
- soak sabudana overnight.
- next day drain the sabudana.
- wipe them completely dry with a kitchen towel.
- boil the potatoes and when warm peel and chop them.
- in a pan dry roast the peanuts till browned and when cooled make a coarse powder in a mortar-pestle or in a dry grinder.
- in a separate bowl mix the chopped potatoes with the peanuts.
- now heat oil.
- fry the cumin first.
- now add the curry leaves and green chilies.
- fry for half a minute and then add the grated ginger.
- stir till the raw smell of the ginger goes away.
- now add potato-peanuts mixture with with salt and sugar.
- saute for 1-2 minutes.
- add the sabudana.
- stir well.
- when the sabudana looses their opaqueness and starts becoming translucent they are cooked.
- don’t over cook as they might become lumpy and hard.
- lastly add grated coconut.
- mix well.
- close the fire.
- while serving garnish sabudana khichdi with coriander leaves and drizzle with some lemon juice.
- serve sabudana khichdi hot.