cabbage pakoda or cabbage pakora recipe with step by step photos – another easy and tasty fried snack of cabbage fritters that can be made quickly.
whilst growing up, mom would make different types of pakoras and cabbage pakoda was one of them. she would serve cabbage pakodas piping hot with mint-coriander chutney and tomato sauce. bread would accompany the cabbage pakoras and we would finish up everything before the next batch of pakoras came.
living and growing up in mumbai, i was exposed to a variety of food and cuisines, not only outside, but also in my home. my mom often used to try new recipes and make them for us. even today she tries new recipes and makes them at home.
the recipe for making cabbage pakoda is simple and easy. while making pakoras, i always avoid adding baking soda to batter. i do not like the taste of the pakoras when baking soda is added to it. if you want to add baking soda in this recipe, you could do so.
to make these crisp and tasty pakoras, you can either use the regular green cabbage or red purple cabbage. the pakoras taste good with either of them. adding onions is optional. for a no onion version, just skip the onions.
if you are looking for more pakora recipes then do check:
- palak pakora
- onion pakora
- plain bread pakora
- raw banana pakoras
- bread pakora recipe with stuffed potato.
cabbage pakoda recipe below:
crisp cabbage pakoda recipe - fried crisp tasty fritters made with cabbage, gram flour and spices.
- ½ cup heaped besan or gram flour
- ¾ cup finely chopped cabbage, green or purple
- ¼ cup finely chopped onions
- 1 to 2 green chilies, chopped
- ½ inch ginger finely chopped
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing), optional
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder) or add as required
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds, optional
- 2 teaspoons chopped coriander leaves
- water as required to make a medium thick batter
- salt as required
- in a bowl, add chopped cabbage, onions, green chillies and ginger.
add besan (gram flour), chopped coriander leaves, turmeric powder, red chili powder, asafoetida (hing), sesame seeds and salt.
add water to make batter and stir very well.
the cabbage pakora batter should not be thin but of medium thick consistency. check the seasoning. if salt or the spiciness is less, accordingly add the salt or chili powder.
- heat oil in a pan. keep the flame medium. when the oil becomes hot, take spoonful of the pakora batter and pour it in the oil.
- add 6-8 spoonfuls of the pakora batter in the oil, individually. so you have 6-8 pakoras frying at a time. fry the cabbage pakoras in batches till they become crisp and golden.
drain the fried cabbage pakoda on kitchen paper towels to remove excess oil.
serve the cabbage pakodas hot with tomato ketchup or mint coriander chutney and sweet tamarind chutney.
lets start step by step cabbage pakoda recipe:
1. in a bowl, add chopped cabbage, onions, green chillies and ginger.
2. add besan (gram flour), chopped coriander leaves, turmeric powder, red chili powder, asafoetida, salt and sesame seeds (optional).
3. add water to make batter. the pakora batter should not be thin. the batter should be of medium thick consistency. check the seasoning. if salt or the spiciness is less, accordingly add salt or chili powder.
4. heat oil in a pan. keep the flame medium. when the oil becomes hot, take spoonful of the pakora batter and pour it in the oil.
5. add 6 to 8 spoonfuls of the pakora batter in the oil, individually. so you have 6 to 8 pakoras frying at a time. fry the cabbage pakoras in batches like this till they crisp and golden.
6. remove the fried cabbage pakoras with a slotted spoon and place them on paper kitchen towels.