arbi patta pakoda
crisp pakoras made with colocasia leaves, gram flour and spices.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 65 grams small colocasia leaves OR 14 small colocasia leaves or 1 cup tightly packed colocasia leaves (arbi ke patte)
- 2 tablespoons fresh curd (dahi or yogurt) OR 1 teaspoon tamarind pulp or lemon juice
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric powder or 2 pinches turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 generous pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- ½ inch ginger - finely chopped or ½ teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 green chili - finely chopped
- 5 to 6 curry leaves (kadi patta) - finely chopped
- 1 white sesame seeds
- ½ cup besan (gram flour)
- 1 pinch baking soda
- salt as required
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- oil for deep frying, as required
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water or add as required
chopping colocasia leaves
firstly rinse 65 grams colocasia leaves or 14 small colocasia leaves very well in running water. drain all the water.
then finely chop the leaves and the stems. you will need 1 cup tightly packed colocasia leaves along with the stems.
preparing batter for arbi ke patte ke pakode
take the chopped leaves in a mixing bowl.
add 2 tablespoons fresh curd. you can also use 1 teaspoon tamarind pulp or lemon juice instead of curd.
add the following spice powders - ⅛ teaspoon or 2 pinches turmeric powder, ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder, ½ teaspoon coriander powder, ½ teaspoon cumin powder and 1 generous pinch of asafoetida (hing).
then add ½ teaspoon finely chopped ginger, 1 green chili, (finely chopped) and 5 to 6 curry leaves, finely chopped.
next add 1 tablespoons white sesame seeds.
add ½ cup besan. also add 1 pinch baking soda and salt as required.
mix everything very roughly. cover and keep aside for 15 to 20 minutes. do not add any water.
after 20 minutes mix again. you will see some moisture in the batter.
then add water accordingly to make a medium consistency batter. so you can add 2 to 3 tablespoons water in parts or add as required. do not make a thin batter.
add ½ teaspoon sugar and mix again.
frying arbi ke patte ke pakode
heat oil for deep frying in a pan or kadai.
check a small portion of the batter in the hot oil. if it comes up gradually and steadily on the surface of the oil, the pakoras can be fried. fry pakodas on a medium flame.
drop spoonfuls of the batter in medium hot oil and begin to fry pakodas.
when one side is light golden and crisp, then turn over and fry the other side.
turn over a couple of times more and fry the pakodas till they are crisp and golden.
remove with a slotted spoon draining the excess oil.
place the fried arbi patta pakodas on kitchen paper towels. fry the rest of the pakodas in the same way.
serve arbi ke patte ke pakode hot or warm with any chutney or dip of your choice.