Rice flour roti or akki rotti is one of the staple breakfasts in karnataka. Akki means rice and roti means flat bread. So basically akki roti are flat breads made with rice flour and and mix veggies.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time45 mins
- 20 grams Dill leaves OR ½ cup chopped dill leaves, OPTIONAL
- 80 grams Onion OR ½ cup finely chopped onions
- 120 grams Carrot OR ½ cup grated carrot
- 10 grams Coriander leaves OR ⅓ cup chopped (cilantro leaves)
- 225 grams Rice flour OR 1.5 cups rice flour
- 1.5 teaspoons Finely chopped ginger
- 2 to 3 Green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds
- ⅓ cup Grated fresh coconut
- ⅔ cup Water Or add as required
- Salt as required
- Oil as required for roasting
- 1 small to medium piece of banana leaf or butter paper or parchment paper or ziplock bag or a moist cotton napkin
preparing akki roti dough
Take ½ cup chopped dill leaves, ½ cup grated carrot, ½ cup finely chopped onions and ⅓ cup chopped coriander leaves in a mixing bowl or a pan. Dill leaves can be skipped.
Add 1.5 teaspoons finely chopped ginger and 2 to 3 green chilies, finely chopped.
Next add ⅓ cup grated fresh coconut and 1 teaspoon cumin seeds .
Add 1.5 cups rice flour and salt as per taste.
Mix everything very well. cover and keep aside for 20 to 30 minutes.
Now add water in parts. I have used ⅔ cup water. Do add water as required depending on the quality of rice flour.
Mix and knead to a soft dough.
making akki roti - first method
Rinse a plantain leaf very well. Take a small portion which can easily stay on a tawa. Wipe dry the leaf and then spread a bit of oil on it.
Take a portion of the dough and place it on the leaf.
With your palms, gently pat and flatten the dough to get an even sized roti.
Do not make the roti too thick or too thin.
Just press some holes in the dough. This is an optional step.
Meanwhile, also heat a tawa. When the tawa gets hot, spread some oil on it. Use a well seasoned tawa.
Lift the plantain leaf gently and bring it near the tawa.
cooking akki roti
Now gently place the side with the roti on it facing the tawa.
Wait for a few seconds and then gently lift the leaf.
On a medium flame cook akki rotti. drizzle some oil from top.
When the base gets golden and crisp, flip akki roti.
Cook this side also till golden and crisp. Remove and serve hot with coconut chutney.
making akki roti - second method
Keep a tawa or griddle on the stovetop. Do not heat the tawa.
Grease some oil on the tawa. Take a portion of the dough and flatten it on the tawa.
Then heat the tawa on medium flame and begin to cook the roti.
Proceed as mentioned in the above steps. Prepare akki roti using the method which suits you.
Serve hot with coconut chutney.
Some tips for making akki rotti
- Recipe can be halved
- Add water as required. The dough should be soft.
- You can add veggies of your choice.
- Without veggies, also you can make akki rotti.
Calories: 663kcal | Carbohydrates: 106g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Sodium: 1372mg | Potassium: 501mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 11135IU | Vitamin C: 22.2mg | Calcium: 70mg | Iron: 2.2mg