bread vada recipe
bread vada recipe with step by step photos - simple yet tasty recipe of vadas made with bread, spices and herbs.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 12 bread vadas
- 5 slices of bread - whole wheat or multigrain or brown or white bread
- ⅓ cup chopped onions
- 1 inch ginger - finely chopped OR 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 to 2 green chilies - chopped
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
- 8 to 10 curry leaves (kadi patta) - chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper - crushed
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 pinch asaofetida (hing)
- 1 pinch turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¼ cup fresh curd (dahi or yogurt)
- 3 tablespoons rice flour
- 2 tablespoons fine sooji (rava or cream of wheat)
- salt as required - do keep a check as bread already has salt in it
- oil for deep frying
preparing bread vada mixture:
take 5 slices of bread and break them. add in a grinder jar.
pulse or grind to get a texture like bread crumbs.
take the bread crumbs in a mixing bowl.
add ⅓ cup chopped onions, 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger, 1 or 2 green chilies (chopped), ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves, 8 to 10 curry leaves (chopped).
also add ⅛ teaspoon black pepper (crushed), ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds and a pinch of asafoetida.
now add 3 tablespoons rice flour, 2 tablespoons fine sooji (rava or cream of wheat), ¼ cup fresh curd and salt as per taste. keep a check on salt as bread already has salt in it.
mix very well first.
then begin to knead to a smooth dough. you may not need to add water as the curd and the moisture from the onions helps in binding the dough. if you are not able to bind to a dough, then sprinkle some water and knead to form a smooth dough.
divide the dough in to small or medium sized balls and then flatten them. keep aside.
frying bread vada:
heat oil for deep frying in a kadai. check the oil temperature by dropping a small portion of the batter in the oil. if the small vada comes up steadily and quickly, the oil is hot enough for frying.
now carefully slid the prepared vadas in the hot oil.
fry the bread vadas till crisp and golden.
when the onions on the crust of the vada, look golden, this means the vada is done.
once nicely crisp and golden, then remove the bread vadas with a slotted spoon.
place them on kitchen paper towels to get rid of extra oil. fry the remaining bread vadas this way in batches.
serve bread vadas hot with tomato ketchup or mint chutney or coriander chutney or with coconut chutney.