cornflakes chivda recipe
cornflakes chivda is a crisp, crunchy, sweet & savory fried mixture made with corn flakes, dry fruits and spices.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 1 medium jar
- 2 cups dried cornflakes (makai poha) - not the ready to eat cereal variety
- ⅓ cup peanuts (moongphali)
- ⅓ cup cashews (kaju)
- 2 to 3 tablespoon roasted chana dal (roasted bengal gram) - optional
- 3 tablespoon golden raisins (kishmish)
- 8 to 10 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- ½ tablespoon powdered sugar or as required
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder or as required (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- fine salt or powdered salt as required - you can add the regular kind of salt, but not sea salt crystals.
- oil for deep frying
preparation for cornflakes chivda recipe
making cornflakes chivda
take about 1/3 cup of the corn flakes in the sieve. immerse the fine sieve ladle in the hot oil.
fry the cornflakes, stirring with a spoon, till they expand, become golden & crisp. don’t brown the corn flakes.
shake the ladle to remove excell oil. drain the corn flakes on a plate lined with kitchen paper towel. fry the rest of the corn flakes in the same way.
add the peanuts to the sieve ladle
fry them in the same way, stirring with a spoon, till they are crisp and crunchy.
remove and place the peanuts on the kitchen paper towel.
now add cashews to the to the sieve ladle.
in a similar way, fry the cashews till golden.
remove and drain the cashews on the kitchen paper towel.
if using roasted chana dal, then fry too them this way.
next add the raisins. fry them till they become plump & swell. don’t fry more as they become dense and chewy.
drain the raisins too. fry the curry leaves for a few seconds. then place them too on the paper towel.
when the mixture is still hot, add turmeric powder, red chili powder, powdered sugar and salt. stir well.
mix the powdered sugar, salt and spices very well with the rest of the ingredients with a spoon, taking care not to break the crisp corn flakes. check the taste and add more of the salt or powdered sugar if required.
once the cornflakes chivda mixture is cooled, then store in an airtight container or jar.
serve cornflakes chivda whenever required as a tea time snack.