rava idli are quick and easy idli variety made with sooji or semolina. these sooji idli requires no grinding and fermentation.
Prep Time35 mins
Cook Time12 mins
Total Time47 mins
Servings: 7 idlis
ingredients for rava idli
- 1 cup rava (sooji or semolina or cream of wheat)
- ½ cup dahi - fresh or sour (yogurt or dahi)
- 1 generous pinch baking soda * check notes
- 2.5 to 3 tablespoon water or more - add accordingly and as required to get a medium consistency batter - which is neither thick nor thin.
- 1 green chili, chopped (hari mirch)
- ½ inch ginger, finely chopped (adrak)
- 10 to 12 cashews, chopped (kaju)
- 2 to 3 teaspoons ghee or oil for roasting the rava
- 1 teaspoon oil for frying the cashews
- salt as required
for tempering rava idli
- 1 to 2 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 teaspoon chana dal (split and husked bengal gram)
- 10 to 12 curry leaves, chopped (kadi patta)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
roasting rava to make rava idli
heat 2 tsp ghee or oil in a pan.
add the rava (sooji) and roast in the ghee or oil till they become aromatic and change color.
keep on stirring often when roasting them.
remove the roasted rava in a mixing bowl and keep aside.
making tempering for rava idli
in the same pan, heat 1 tsp oil again and fry the cashews in the ghee.
remove and add the fried cashews to the rava in the mixing bowl.
in the same pan, add 1 tsp oil more and heat it.
splutter mustard seeds. then add chana dal, curry leaves & asafoetida. fry till the chana dal become golden.
making rava idli batter
then add this whole mixture to the roasted rava.
add curd (yogurt) along with chopped ginger, green chilies and salt.
add water as required and make a batter which is neither thin nor thick.
keep aside covered for 20-30 minutes.
after 20-30 minutes, if the batter looks thick, then add a few tablespoons of water to get a medium consistency. rava absorbs water and so the batter might thicken after 20 to 30 minutes.
steaming rava idli
heat water in a steamer, electric cooker or pressure cooker.
just before steaming, add baking soda in the batter and mix well.
pour the rava idli batter in greased idli moulds.
place the idli stand in the electric cooker, steamer or pressure cooker.
steam the rava idli for 10 to 12 minutes or more till a tooth pick inserted in the idlis come out clean.
remove the rava idli from the mould and serve the steaming hot rava idli with idli podi or with your favorite coconut chutney and sambar.
tips for making rava idli
- you can easily add upto ¼ tsp of baking soda. since i don't like the soapy aroma of baking soda, i have added a generous pinch.
- you can also add eno or fruit salt in place of baking soda. add ½ to ¾ teaspoon of eno or fruit salt.
Calories: 115kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 99mg | Potassium: 71mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 0.6% | Vitamin C: 0.9% | Calcium: 19.7% | Iron: 46.5%