cabbage thoran is a dry vegetable dish made in kerala cuisine. thoran is basically finely chopped or grated vegetables cooked with shallots, chilies, fresh grated coconut and spices.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 3 to 4
- 1 medium sized cabbage (patta gobi)
- 1 medium sized onion OR 4 to 5 shallots - finely chopped
- 10 to 12 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing) - optional
- 1 green chili, chopped (hari mirch)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ cup grated coconut - fresh or frozen
- 1 or 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- salt as required
preparation for cabbage thoran recipe
making cabbage thoran
heat the coconut oil in a pan or kadai.
first add the mustard seed and saute till they crackle.
now add the cumin and saute them till they change color.
add the chopped shallots or onion. saute till translucent.
add the green chilli and curry leaves and saute for a minute.
now add the turmeric powder and asafoetida (hing). mix very well.
lastly add the cabbage and salt. stir and saute for a minute.
cover the pan and on a low flame let the cabbage cook. just continue to stir at times.
steam cook till the cabbage is tender.
if there is any moisture in the pan, then cook further till all the moisture dries up.
when the cabbage is cooked, add the coconut. stir and cook for 2 to 3 minutes more.
you can garnish cabbage thoran with coriander leaves if you want.
serve the cabbage thoran hot with some steamed rice or chapati.
Calories: 238kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Sodium: 500mg | Potassium: 656mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 425IU | Vitamin C: 182mg | Calcium: 153mg | Iron: 2.6mg