karela fry recipe
kakarakaya fry or bitter gourd fry is an easy and quick dish. the recipe is lightly spiced with bitter tones from the karela.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
- 250 grams tender karela (bitter gourd or bitter melon or kakarakaya)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder (jeera)
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1 teaspoon fennel powder (saunf powder)
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- ½ or 1 teaspoon amchur powder (dry mango powder)
- 1 tablespoon besan (gram flour)
- 2 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
preparation for karela fry recipe
rinse the karela in water first.
slice the karela into thin round pieces.
you can lightly peel the skin if you want before you slice them.
making karela fry
heat oil in a frying pan or kadai.
add the karela slices and saute on a low or medium flame till the slices
become lightly browned. takes about 8-10 minutes. stir in between.
now add all the dry spice powders and salt.
stir and saute for 5-6 mins more on a low flame.
lastly add the besan and saute for some minutes till the rawness of the besan or gram flour goes away. takes about 4-5 minutes more.
garnish karela fry with coriander leaves.
serve bitter gourd fry with dal-rice, kadhi-rice or sambar-rice.
this recipe can be doubled or tripled.
Calories: 169kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 599mg | Potassium: 394mg | Fiber: 4g | Vitamin A: 14.8% | Vitamin C: 127.3% | Calcium: 3.7% | Iron: 7.2%