papdi bhaji is a simple mildly spiced steamed dish made with flat green beans.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time35 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
- 200 to 250 grams papdi (flat green beans or field beans or valor or val papdi)
- 3 to 4 shallots Or 1 small to medium onion - finely chopped
- 2 to 3 garlic (lahsun) - finely chopped
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 green chili (hari mirch) chopped
- 3 tablespoon grated coconut
- 1 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
- few chopped coriander leaves for garnishing (dhania patta)
preparation for surti papdi bhaji
making papdi bhaji
heat oil in a pan or kadai.
add the finely chopped onions and saute till the onions are translucent.
then add the garlic and green chilies.
saute for some seconds and add the turmeric powder.
stir and then add the chopped papdi or flat beans.
sprinkle salt and some water.
cover the pan with a rimmed plate or lid.
pour water over the plate.
on a low flame simmer the flat beans till they are cooked completely.
check in between and give a gentle stir.
if the water dries up in the pan, then sprinkle some water and cover and continue to cook.
if the water dries up in the lid, then add more water.
when the beans are cooked and if there is water in the pan, then cook without the lid, so that the water dries up. some moisture should be there in the dish. the beans should not get browned or crisp.
add the grated coconut and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes more on a low flame.
garnish with coriander leaves and serve the papdi bhaji with rotis or chapatis.