Schezwan Noodles is a spicy and tasty stir-fried vegetable noodles with schezwan sauce.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
For cooking noodles
- 150 grams Hakka noodles or plain noodles Or 1 pack of noodles
- 5 cups Of water To cook noodles
- 1 to 2 teaspoon Oil to coat the noodles
- 2 to 3 Drops of oil to be added while heating water.
Other ingredients for schezwan noodles
- 1.5 to 2 cups Finely chopped vegetables (a mix of carrots. Beans, cabbage, mushrooms, capsicum/green bell pepper)
- 2 to 3 Small spring onions Or 1-2 medium spring onions Or 1/4 cup spring onions - finely chopped, reserve the greens for garnish
- 3 to 4 Garlic Finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Schezwan sauce, You can add more for a more spicy taste
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon Black pepper powder Or as required
- 1 teaspoon Rice vinegar Or regular white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 to 1.5 tablespoon Of spring onion greens
- 2 tablespoon Oil for stir frying
- Salt as required
Boil 5 cups of water in a pot or pan with some salt and a few drops of oil.
Add the noodles in the hot boiling water.
Cook the noodles according to the package instructions.
When the noodles are just about cooked, meaning al dente, then strain the noodles in a colander.
Rinse the noodles in running water very well. This method stops the cooking process and removes the starch.
Add oil to noodles. Toss the noodles gently, so that the oil gets coated evenly on the noodles. This method gets rid of stickiness from the noodles.
Let the noodles cool completely before you add them to the stir fried veggies.
stir frying veggies for schezwan noodles
Heat oil in a pan or wok. On medium heat, add the garlic and saute for a few seconds.
Increase the flame and then add the finely chopped spring onions/scallion whites. Stir fry on a high heat for about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Add the french beans. Keep on stir frying on high flame for about 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the remaining veggies - finely chopped carrots, capsicum (green bell pepper), mushrooms. Keep on stir frying the veggies on the high flame.
Stir fry for about 7 to 8 minutes till the edges of the veggies start to slightly brown. You can cut down on the stir frying time, if you prefer half cooked or more crunchy veggies.
making schezwan noodles
Now reduce the flame to medium heat and add schezwan sauce, salt and black pepper.
Add the hakka noodles in batches and stir fry.
Increase the flame and keep on tossing and stir frying the noodles till the schezwan sauce coats all the noodles well.
Add rice vinegar or white vinegar and mix well. Check the seasoning and add more schezwan sauce, pepper and salt if required.
Add the chopped spring onions to schezwan noodles. Stir.
Serve schezwan noodles hot in serving bowls or plates.