paneer curry recipe - this is a rich and delicious cottage cheese curry made in an onion-tomato-cashew base.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time55 mins
Servings: 3 to 4
for onion paste
- 105 grams onion or 1 large onion - roughly chopped
for cashew paste
- 175 grams tomato or 2 large tomatoes - roughly chopped
- 27 grams cashew (kaju) or 12 to 15 cashews - soaked in ½ cup hot water
for ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste OR 4 grams ginger (adrak) or 1 inch ginger - roughly chopped + 4 grams garlic or 6 to 7 small to medium garlic cloves, roughly chopped - crushed to a paste in mortar-pestle
other ingredients for cottage cheese curry
- 200 grams paneer (cottage cheese) - cut in cubes or squares
- 3 tablespoons oil
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder or add as per taste
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 green chilies, slit (hari mirch)
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- salt as required
- 1.5 cups water or add as required
- ½ teaspoon kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
- 2 tablespoon low fat cream
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves for garnish
preparation for cottage cheese curry
first soak 12 to 15 cashews in hot water for 30 minutes.
when the cashews are soaking, roughly chop 2 large tomatoes, 1 large onion, 1 inch ginger and 6 to 7 small to medium garlic cloves. crush the ginger and garlic to a paste in mortar-pestle.
in a blender jar or grinder jar, take the chopped onions. without adding any water grind to a smooth paste.
remove the onion paste in a bowl and keep aside.
to the same grinder jar, add chopped tomatoes. also add the soaked cashews.
again without adding any water, grind both tomatoes and cashews to a smooth paste. keep the jar aside.
making masala for paneer curry
heat 3 tablespoons oil in a thick bottomed pan or kadai.
add the onion paste.
on a low flame begin to saute the onion paste. keep on stirring often while sauteing the onion paste. saute till the onion paste becomes light golden or golden.
then add the crushed ginger-garlic paste. if using ready ginger-garlic paste, then add 1 teaspoon of it.
stir and saute till the raw aroma of ginger-garlic goes away.
now add the tomato+cashew paste. be careful as the mixture can splutter.
mix everything very well and begin to saute the masala on a low flame.
while the masala is getting sauteed, add 1.5 cups water in the grinder jar. swirl the jar so that the tomato paste at the sides and at the bottom get mixed with the water. if you want you can even run the mixer once, so that everything gets mixed well. keep aside.
saute the onion-tomato masala till you see some fat releasing from the sides. the masala will also become glossy.
making paneer curry
then add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon red chilli powder, ½ teaspoon coriander powder and ½ teaspoon garam masala powder.
mix the spice powders very well.
add 1 or 2 slit green chilies.
add the water which was mixed with the leftover tomato+cashew paste in grinder jar.
season with salt. also add 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves.
on a low to medium flame, simmer the cottage cheese curry till it thickens a bit and you see oil specks on top.
then add paneer cubes.
add ½ teaspoon kasuri methi, which has been crushed. mix well and cook for a minute.
then add 2 tablespoons low fat cream.
mix the cream very well with the rest of the cottage cheese curry. switch off the flame.
serve paneer curry garnished with some coriander leaves accompanied with chapatis, parathas, naan or steamed rice or jeera rice.
tips for making cottage cheese curry
- you can add less or more of the spice powders, depending on your requirements.
- less or more water can be added, depending on the gravy consistency you want. this recipe yields a medium consistency gravy.
- cream can be skipped.
- tofu can be replaced with paneer.
Calories: 421kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 36g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Cholesterol: 50mg | Sodium: 911mg | Potassium: 248mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 13.2% | Vitamin C: 17.2% | Calcium: 33.8% | Iron: 5%