paneer bread roll recipe
paneer bread roll is a quick baked snack of bread rolls stuffed with a spiced paneer stuffing. no onion no garlic recipe. tofu can be substituted instead of paneer.
Servings: 2 to 3
- 8 to 10 slices of whole wheat bread, can also use brown bread, multi grain bread or white bread
- 250 grams paneer (cottage cheese)
- 1 green chili, chopped (hari mirch)
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped or minced ginger (adrak)
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves or parsley leaves
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ teaspoon chaat masala powder OR ½ teaspoon amchur powder (amchur)
- salt as required
- a bit of oil OR softened butter for brushing
making stuffing for paneer bread roll
crumble the paneer very well and keep aside. freshly homemade paneer is easier to crumble.
if using chilled or frozen paneer, then keep it soaking in warm water for some minutes. drain very well. remove the excess moisture from the paneer, by patting with paper towels or kitchen napkins. crumble and keep aside.
to the crumbled paneer, add ½ tsp finely chopped or minced ginger, 1 green chili (finely chopped) and 1 tbsp chopped coriander or parsley leaves.
now add the spice powders - ¼ tsp red chili powder, ¼ tsp coriander powder, ¼ tsp garam masala powder, ½ tsp chaat masala powder and salt as per taste.
instead of chaat masala you can add ½ tsp amchur powder (dry mango powder). mix very well.
making paneer bread roll
now take a bread slice and slice off the edges. with a rolling pin slightly flatten the bread.
don't throw away these edges. pulse them in a mixer or grinder to make bread crumbs. store in a jar and keep in the fridge. use these breadcrumbs for binding or coating patties or cutlets.
take 2 tbsp of the paneer stuffing and place it on one side of the bread.
brush some water over the four edges of the slices. you can also dip your fingertips in water and moisten the edges.
now gently cover the bread slice and press the edges to form a rectangular roll.
you can also moisten your fingers with some water and then press.
prepare rolls this way and place on a baking tray. no need to grease the tray.
lightly brush some oil on the rolls. don’t brush too much oil as the bread absorbs a lot of oil at room temperature. just brush lightly.
the bread i used was crumbly and a three to four days old bread, so these were not easy to roll. if the rolls tears or breaks at some places, then no issues.
baking paneer bread roll
bake the bread roll in a preheated oven at 200 degrees celsius/390 degrees fahrenheit for 10 to 12 minutes or till the bread roll become golden and crisp.
as oven temperatures vary, do keep a check while baking. depending on the size, make, model of the oven it can take less or more time - from 12 minutes to 30 minutes.
once done remove from the oven and serve these paneer bread roll hot or warm with some tomato ketchup or coriander chutney or tamarind chutney.
- recipe can be doubled or tripled.
- instead of coriander leaves or parsley, any fresh herbs of your choice can be added. even fresh mixed herbs can be added. if using dried herbs, then add 1 tsp of dried herbs.
- tofu can be used instead of paneer.
- softened butter can be used instead of oil.
- pan toasting the paneer bread rolls - (if not baking) spread 1 to 2 tbsp oil on a tawa or griddle. place the rolls and toast on a low to medium flame. flip carefully when one side is toasted and toast the second side. when both the sides are toasted well, then remove the rolls and serve hot.