ridge gourd recipe
Turai ki sabzi recipe - easy homely recipe of ridge gourd bhaji with moong dal.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time50 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
- 2 tablespoons Moong dal
- ¼ cup Water For soaking moong dal
- 200 to 250 grams Ridge gourd, About 2 cups chopped ridge gourd (turai or dodka or shirali or beerakaya or tori)
- 1.5 tablespoons Peanut oil (can also use sunflower oil)
- 60 grams Onion Or ⅓ cup chopped onions or 1 medium sized onion - chopped
- 1 Green chilli, Chopped (hari mirch)
- 4 to 5 Small to medium sized garlic, Chopped (lahsun)
- 1 pinch Turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 pinch Asafoetida (hing)
- ¼ cup Fresh grated coconut
- 2 tablespoons Chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
preparation for ridge gourd recipe:
Rinse and then soak 2 tablespoons moong dal in hot water for 30 minutes. Or you can soak in water at room temperature for an hour.
Later rinse, peel and chop the ridge gourd (turai or dodka or shirali).
Also peel and chop one medium sized onion, 4 to 5 medium garlic and 1 green chili.
making turai sabzi recipe:
Heat 1.5 tablespoons oil in a pan.
Add the chopped onions.
Then add the chopped garlic.
Stir and saute on a low to medium flame till the onions become translucent.
Add the chopped green chilies, a pinch of turmeric powder and a pinch of asafoetida. Mix well.
Now add the chopped ridge gourd. Stir and mix the ridge gourd with the rest of the ingredients.
Add the moong dal along with the soaked water.
Also add 1/3 cup more water.
Season with salt. Mix very well.
Cover the pan with a lid and simmer on a low flame.
Do check at intervals and if the water dries out, you can add more water.
Simmer till the moong dal and the ridge gourd are cooked well.
Once the water has evaporated, then add 1/4 cup fresh grated coconut. Mix well. The turai sabzi will have some moisture but will not be watery.
Switch off the flame and add 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves. Mix again.
Serve turai sabzi hot or warm with some chapatis or phulkas.