drumstick rasam recipe
drumstick rasam recipe - a tangy version of rasam made with drumsticks.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time50 mins
Servings: 3 -4
main ingredients for drumstick rasam:
- 2 drumsticks, rinsed, peeled and chopped into 1.5 to 2 inch long pieces
- 2 medium sized ripe tomatoes - pureed, approx 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon seedless tamarind, soaked in ½ cup water for 30 minutes
- 1.5 to 2 cups water - adjust as required
- 2 to 3 teaspoon rasam powder
- 1 or 2 teaspoon jaggery or as required
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¼ or ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ cup coriander leaves, chopped (dhania patta)
for tempering drumstick rasam:
- 1 teaspoon mustard (rai)
- 1 teaspoon cumin (jeera)
- 1 teaspoon urad dal, optional
- ¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- 2 dry red chilies, whole or halved and deseeded
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1 sprig curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 to 1.5 tablespoon oil
add the tomato puree, drumsticks, turmeric powder, red chili powder, 2 cups water in a pot or pan.
bring to a boil and simmer till the drumsticks are cooked, uncovered.
squeeze the tamarind pulp straight into the bowl of water.
add the tamarind pulp, rasam powder, jaggery and salt. stir well.
simmer for 5-6 minutes more or till the raw aroma of the tamarind goes away.
in a small pan, heat oil. add the mustard and urad dal first.
let the mustard seeds pop first and at the same time the urad dal would also start getting browned.
now add the cumin and fry for a few seconds.
add the dry red chilies, curry leaves, asafoetida and fry for some seconds.
pour the tempering mixture in the the rasam. stir and mix in the coriander leaves.
serve the drumstick rasam hot with rice or as an accompaniment with sambar.