Usal is a maharashtrian curried dish made with legumes/sprouted legumes or mixed sprouted legumes and is had with pav (bread), chapati or rice.
Prep Time35 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time1 hr
For cooking sprouts
- 1.5 cups Mixed legumes sprouts (legumes)
- 1.25 cups Water For cooking sprouts
For the usal masala
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 tablespoon Coriander seeds
- ½ tablespoon Fennel seeds (saunf)
- ¼ cup Onion, Chopped
- 4 to 5 Medium garlic cloves (lahsun), chopped
- ½ inch Ginger (adrak), chopped
- ½ cup Desiccated coconut Or ½ cup fresh coconut
- ½ to ⅔ cup Water for grinding the masala paste
For the usal
- 2 tablespoons Oil
- ¼ cup Onion Or 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- ⅓ cup Chopped tomatoes or 1 medium sized tomato, chopped
- ½ teaspoon Red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 teaspoon Malvani masala Or goda masala or ½ teaspoon garam masala (optional)
- 1 cup Of broth or stock got from boiling the sprouts or water
- Salt as required
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Coriander leaves for garnishing
cooking mixed bean sprouts
Sprout ½ cup of dried mixed beans a couple of days before to make the usal. You will need 1.5 cups of mixed bean sprouts.
Pressure cook or steam the sprouted beans till they are cooked. If pressure cooking, then cook the mixed bean sprouts in 1.25 cups water.
When the bean sprouts are cooked and tender. Keep the cooked mixed sprouts aside.
making usal masala
On a tava or pan heat 1 tablespoon oil. Add the chopped onion.
Fry the onions till they become translucent.
Add the fennel seeds and coriander seeds to the onions. Fry till they become aromatic.
Add chopped ginger and garlic and fry these too for 1 to 2 minutes.
Add the desiccated coconut.
Stir and mix it well with the rest of the mixture.
Fry the coconut till golden brown. But remember not to burn the coconut and to fry the masala on a low flame.
Let the masala mixture cool. Then make a smooth paste of the masala ingredients in the grinder with ½ to ⅔ cup water.
In another pan, heat 2 tablespoon oil. Add the chopped onions.
Saute the onions till they turn translucent.
Next add the chopped tomatoes.
Saute the tomatoes for 2 to 3 mins or till they soften.
Pour the ground masala paste. Since we have already browned the paste, we have less work to do. Just fry the paste for 1 to 2 minutes.
Add the turmeric powder, malvani masala and red chili powder.
Mix the above powders well with the coconut paste.
Add the boiled sprouts to the paste.
Add 1 cup broth or stock or add more, as per the consistency desired by you. You can also add water instead of broth or stock.
Add salt. Lastly let the entire curry simmer for 12 to 15 minutes or till you see some oil floating on top.
Last step is to add chopped coriander leaves.
Serve maharashtrian usal with steamed rice or bhakri or pav or phulkas or pooris. You can also make misal pav with this malvani usal recipe.