dry green peas recipe
simple, easy and delicious green peas sabzi that goes very well as a side dish with chapatis or phulkas. you can even serve this dry green peas in lunch box.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
for steaming green peas in pressure cooker
- 1.5 cups green peas (matar), fresh or frozen
- 1.5 cups water to be added in pressure cooker
other ingredients for dry green peas recipe
- 1 tablespoon oil - ghee also can be used instead of oil
- 1 green chili - slit
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1 teaspoon fennel powder (saunf powder)
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur powder)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- salt as required
steaming green peas in pressure cooker
rinse and then take 1.5 cups green peas in a small pan or bowl. do not add any water in the pan or bowl.
in a 2 litre pressure cooker, add 1.5 cups water.
then place the pan or bowl with the green peas inside the cooker.
cover with the lid and pressure cook on medium to high flame for 5 to 6 whistles or 6 to 7 minutes. instead of steaming, you can boil the green peas also.
when the pressure settles down, open the lid and check if the green peas have cooked properly.
there will be some water in the peas. drain the water and keep the green peas aside.
making dry green peas recipe
heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan or kadai. ghee also can be used instead of oil
keep the flame to a low or medium-low and then add 1 slit green chili. sauté for some seconds.
then add the steamed green peas.
mix it well with the oil.
keeping the flame to a low or sim, add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder and ½ teaspoon kashmiri chilli powder.
next add 1 teaspoon coriander powder, 1 teaspoon fennel powder, ½ teaspoon cumin powder and ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
mix the spices very well with the green peas and sauté for a minute.
then add salt as required and ½ teaspoon dry mango powder. for a more sour taste you can add 1 teaspoon dry mango powder. instead of mango powder, you can also add ½ to 1 teaspoon lemon juice. some chaat masala and black salt can also be added if you want.
mix very well and sauté for a minute.
switch off the flame and add 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves to green peas sabzi. mix.
serve green peas sabzi with parathas, rotis or phulkas.
few tips for making green peas sabzi:
- you can use both fresh or frozen green peas.
- instead of dry mango powder, you can add ½ to 1 teaspoon lemon juice.
- for a more sour taste you can add 1 teaspoon dry mango powder.
- some chaat masala and black salt can also be added.
- green chili can be skipped for small kids.
- also you can reduce or increase the spices as per your requirements.
- ghee can be added instead of oil.
- green peas can be boiled instead of steaming them.
- you can use a pan to boil the green peas instead of pressure cooker.
- recipe can be doubled or halved.
Calories: 175kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 8g | Sodium: 101mg | Potassium: 307mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1005IU | Vitamin C: 46.7mg | Calcium: 62mg | Iron: 2.5mg