delicious, light and soft vegan banana bread recipe made with whole wheat flour, bananas, sugar and oil.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 12 slices
- 4 medium sized ripe bananas OR over ripe bananas OR 300 grams ripe bananas OR 10.5 ounce ripe bananas
- 1.5 cups whole wheat flour (atta) OR 180 grams whole wheat flour
- ½ cup coconut oil OR sunflower oil OR any vegetable oil OR 125 ml coconut oil
- ½ cup brown sugar OR unrefined cane sugar OR regular granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla powder OR 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder (dalchini powder) - optional
- 2 to 3 pinches nutmeg powder OR ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg powder (jaiphal powder) - optional
- 1 to 2 tablespoon sunflower seeds - optional
- 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt - optional
preparation for banana bread
preheat the oven to 180 degree celsius.
grease a bread tin or a rectangular cake pan with some coconut oil. you can use the rectangular cake pan of size ( 7.5 x 4 x 2.5 inches) or round cake pan (7.5 x 2 inches).
making banana bread batter
take sliced bananas and sugar in a mixing bowl.
mash the bananas well or puree them with a hand blender.
now add the oil, vanilla, cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder to the banana and mix well.
sieve the flour with the baking soda, baking powder, salt directly in the bowl containing the mashed bananas.
fold the sieved flour really well.
this folding step is important as you want the whole bread mixture to be one and mixed evenly.
lastly add the sunflower seeds and fold these.
pour the bread mixture into the loaf pan.
baking banana bread
bake at 180 degree C for 30-40 minutes or till a toothpick inserted in the bread comes out clean.
the timing varies from oven to oven. depending on the temperature in your oven and the size of your pan, the cake might take less or more time than mentioned here.
so take your call and keep an eye on the bread. however don't open the oven untill the bread is ¾th done.
the benchmark is that a tooth pick inserted in the bread should come out clean.
when the bread cools down, remove the banana bread from the pan.
slice and serve banana bread warm.
the remaining banana loaf, you can wrap in a cling film or keep in a box in the fridge. warm the banana bread before serving.
tips for making banana bread
- if coconut oil is added to the bread, it solidifies when refrigerated, hence the bread also becomes dense when you refrigerate it. so before serving just warm up the bread and the bread will have its natural texture back.
- sweetness of the bread can be adjusted as per your preferences.
Calories: 205kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 50mg | Potassium: 251mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 0.5% | Vitamin C: 4.1% | Calcium: 2.9% | Iron: 4%