bharwa karela recipe
punjabi bharwan karela recipe - bitter gourd stuffed with spice powders and sauted with caramelized onions.
Prep Time25 mins
Cook Time35 mins
Total Time1 hr
Servings: 3 to 4
- 10 to 12 small karela (bitter gourd)
- ¾ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¾ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ teaspoon punjabi garam masala powder or garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon amchur powder (dry mango powder)
- 1 teaspoon fennel powder (saunf powder)
- 2 medium sized onions - finely sliced
- 3 tablespoon oil
- few chopped coriander leaves for garnish (optional)
- salt as required
preparation for bharwa karela recipe
rinse and peel the karela (bitter gourd).
make a vertical cut on each karela keeping the base intact.
remove the seeds and pith with your hands or scrape with a small spoon.
mix all the dry spice powders with salt.
stuff the spice powder mix in the karela.
tie a thread tightly around each karela.
making bharwa karela
heat the oil and fry the karela in the oil till they are browned and cooked.
in the same oil, add the sliced onions and fry them till they begin to brown.
add the karela and saute till they the onions become crisp and golden.
add the rest of the spice mix, if there is a left over.
in case if you have added less salt in the spice mix, you can add them now.
while serving bharwa karela remove the thread and serve bharwa karela garnished with chopped coriander leaves.
bharwan karela is best had with some rotis, phulkas or as a side vegetable dish with dal-rice.