Green peas sundal recipe - sundal are dry legume-lentil preparation spiced, tempered along with fresh coconut.
Prep Time8 hrs
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time8 hrs 30 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
- ¾ cup Dry green peas
- ½ teaspoon Mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin (jeera)
- 1 to 2 Broken red chilies (sookhi lal mirch)
- 1 Green chili (hari mirch)
- A pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 10 to 12 Curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 2 to 3 tablespoon Freshly grated coconut
- Regular salt as required - you can also add rock salt (sendha namak)
cooking green peas for pattani sundal
First rinse the dry green peas in water.
Soak in enough water overnight.
Next day pressure cook the peas with water and salt for 8-9 whistles or till done.
Drain water and keep the cooked peas aside.
making pattani sundal
In a pan heat oil.
Fry the mustard seeds, till they crackle and pop.
Now add the cumin seeds and fry them.
Add the broken red chilies, green chili, curry leaves.
Stir and fry for half a minute.
Now add asafoetida. stir and then add the cooked green peas.
Add salt and stir well.
Keep on stirring for another 5-6 minutes till the whole mixture looks dry.
Lastly add grated coconut and serve pattani sundal as naivedyam.
- Since a fasting recipe, I have not added onions to it. But when not making for fasting, then you can add onions while frying the spices and cook till soft.
- Raw grated or shredded mango can also be added to the sundal as a topping.