veg mushroom caldin
veg mushroom caldin is a coconut milk based goan mushroom curry. flavorful and non spicy.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time35 mins
main ingredients for mushroom caldin
- 200 to 250 grams button mushrooms - rinsed and quartered
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 medium sized tomato - quartered
- 2 cups thin coconut milk and 1 cup thick coconut milk (you can also substitute coconut milk with ¾ or 1 cup fresh grated coconut)
- 2 tablespoon oil
- salt as required
for the masala curry paste
- ¼ cup roughly chopped onion
- 2 to 3 dry red chilies (sookhi lal mirch)
- 2 teaspoon coriander seeds (sabut dhania)
- ½ inch ginger (adrak) - chopped
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves (lahsun)
- 1 teaspoon seedless tamarind (imli)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- ¼ or ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 3 to 4 tablespoon water
first grind all the ingredients mentioned under masala curry paste to a smooth fine paste with some water.
if using grated coconut instead of coconut milk, then grind the coconut also with the rest of the masala curry paste ingredients.
keep the ground curry paste aside.
heat oil in a pot. fry onions till transparent.
add tomatoes and fry for 2-3 minutes.
now add the mushrooms. stir and saute the mushrooms.
first the mushroom will release water and the whole mixture will become slightly watery.
continue to saute till the water dries up and oil starts to leaves the sides of the mushroom mixture.
now add the ground masala paste and saute for 3-4 minutes, stirring often.
first add the thin coconut milk and simmer the curry for 5-6 minutes.
season with salt.
addition of thin coconut milk first will help in avoiding splitting of the thick coconut milk which we add later.
lastly add the thick coconut milk and let the mushroom caldin curry come to one boil. switch off the fire.
serve the mushroom caldin hot with some steamed rice or bread/rolls or goan bread.
- if grated coconut is added to make the masala curry paste, then add 2 to 2.5 cups water to give a curry like consistency.
- you can adjust the consistency of the mushroom caldin curry as per your needs.