Methia keri is a spiced, sour pickle made with raw mangoes, split fenugreek seeds and mustard seeds.
Prep Time30 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 1 kilo pickle
- 1 kg Raw unripe green mangoes (keri or kairi or kachcha aam) - 1 kilo
- ¾ cup Whole fenugreek seeds (methi ka dana) Or 1 cup split fenugreek seeds (methi kuria) - about 125 grams
- ½ cup Split mustard seeds (rai kuria) Or 50 to 60 grams split mustard seeds
- ½ cup Red chilli powder Or 50 grams red chilli powder (lal mirch powder) - I used kashmiri red chili powder
- 2 tablespoon Turmeric powder Or 25 grams turmeric powder
- ½ tablespoon Asafoetida Or 5 grams asafoetida (hing)
- ½ cup Heaped rock salt Or 140 grams rock salt (sendha namak)
- 3 to 3.5 cups Sesame oil or mustard oil Or 750 to 875 ml, add more if required
Take the fenugreek seeds in a grinder jar.
Pulse and grind, till the seeds split and you get a coarse mixture. Don’t make a powder. 3/4 cup of whole fenugreek seeds, will roughly yield 1 cup split fenugreek seeds.
If you can get ready split fenugreek seeds from the market, then skip this first step.
Rinse the mangoes and then dry them with a clean kitchen towel. There should be no trace of moisture on the mangoes. Chop the mangoes into bite sized pieces or cubes. Chopping is a bit tough, so use a good knife and be careful of your hands. You can also ask the vegetable vendor to chop the mangoes for you.
Take all the chopped mangoes in a mixing bowl or pan.
Add the coarsely ground fenugreek seeds and split mustard seeds.
Add turmeric powder, red chili powder, asafoetida and rock salt.
Mix very well with a clean spoon.
Now add this pickle mixture in a sterilized glass jar. You can also use a bharni.
Pour sesame oil. There is no need to heat the sesame oil.
If using mustard oil, then heat the mustard oil, till it reaches its smoking point. Switch off the flame and cool the mustard oil completely. Add the cooled mustard oil to the pickle mixture
The oil has to float at least 2 inches above the top.
Close the jars tightly and keep them on your kitchen counter for 10 to 12 days, till the mangoes soften a bit and become tender. Stir the jar after every 2 to 3 days with a clean sterilized spoon.
Once the pickle is ready, you can serve them. Whenever the amount of oil becomes less on top, add some more oil.