veg paratha recipe
Healthy and delicious whole wheat flat bread made with mix vegetables. These mix veg paratha make for a good tiffin box snack or lunch.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 14 to 16 parathas
- 2.5 cups Whole wheat flour (atta)
- 100 grams Cauliflower Or 1 cup chopped cauliflower (gobi)
- 100 grams Carrot Or 2 medium carrots (gajar)
- 100 grams Potatoes Or 1 medium potato (aloo)
- 100 grams Palak (spinach) Or 20 to 22 medium to large spinach leaves Or ¾ cup tightly packed finely chopped spinach leaves
- 8 to 10 French beans, Chopped
- ¼ cup Heaped peas - fresh or frozen (matar)
- 1 or 2 Green chilies - finely chopped (hari mirch)
- ½ teaspoon Finely chopped ginger (adrak) Or ½ inch ginger - finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1 teaspoon Jeera powder (cumin powder)
- ½ teaspoon Red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon Garam masala powder
- 1 pinch Asafoetida (hing) - optional
- 1.5 teaspoon Salt or as required
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoon Water for kneading, Only add if required
- Oil or ghee for roasting parathas, As required
preparation for mix veg paratha
Rinse, peel and chop the veggies.
Then steam or boil the veggies in a pressure cooker or steamer till they are thoroughly cooked.
If you are mixing the raw vegetables with water while cooking, then do not discard the water.
Some of this water can be added to the dough while kneading. Also you can add this water to make soups or dals.
When the veggies cool down, then mash with a potato masher. Mash very well.
Add finely chopped spinach. If you do not have spinach, then you can add other green like amaranth or fenugreek (methi).
Add chopped coriander leaves, green chilies and ginger.
Add cumin powder, coriander powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder, asafoetida and salt.
Mix the spices and salt very well with the mashed veggie mixture.
kneading dough and rolling veg paratha
Add whole wheat flour (atta). Make a well and add oil or ghee.
Bring everything together and start to knead.
No need to add water while kneading. Add water only if its a must. Otherwise the dough becomes sticky.
in case if the dough becomes sticky then add some more flour.
Knead to a smooth dough.
Pinch medium sized ball from the dough. Flatten & sprinkle some flour all over it.
Gently roll to a size of a chapati or roti. Add more flour if required while rolling.
making veg paratha
Place the rolled vegetable paratha on a hot tava.
When the base is one-fourth cooked, flip. Spread some ghee or oil on this side.
Flip again when the second side is half cooked. Apply ghee on this side now.
Flip again a couple of times to get the parathas browned and cooked well.
You can also press the paratha edges with a spatula or spoon, so that they are fried well. Since some times, the paratha edges are not cooked well.
Make all mix vegetable parathas this way.
Serve mix vegetable paratha with curd or pickle or topped with butter.