lemon rice recipe
lemon rice is a crunchy, flavorful and sour rice recipe from south india.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
- 1 cup heaped regular rice or 3 to 4 cups cooked rice (chawal)
- 1.5 to 2 tablespoons lemon juice (nimbu ka ras) or add as required
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 1 teaspoon urad dal (spilt and skinned black gram)
- 2 dry red chilies (sookhi lal mirch)
- 1 to 2 green chilies, chopped
- 12 to 15 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1 generous pinch asafoetida (hing)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tablespoon cashews (kaju) - halved or chopped (optional)
- ¼ cup peanuts (moongphalli) - optional
- 2 to 3 tablespoon sesame oil (til ka tel) - optional
- rock salt (sendha namak) or regular salt as required
rinse 1 heaped cup rice a couple of times and soak for 30 minutes.
then drain the water and pressure cook rice with ¼ teaspoon salt and 2 cups water for 2 to 3 whistles or 8 to 10 minutes on medium-high flame.
1 heaped cup rice will yield 3 to 4 cups rice. this depends on the type and quality of rice.
when the pressure settles down on its own in the cooker, remove the lid. remove the cooked rice in a plate or in a bowl.
let the rice become warm or cool at room temperature
making lemon rice
in a small frying pan, heat 1 to 2 tablespoons sesame oil. first fry peanuts till crunchy and then keep them aside.
in the same oil, then fry cashews till golden. remove and keep aside.
now add 1 tablespoon sesame oil in the same pan.
add the mustard seeds and let them crackle. once the mustard seeds begin to crackle, add the urad dal.
saute till the urad dal turns golden. fry everything on a low flame, so that the spices don't burn.
then add the red chilies, green chilies (chopped) and curry leaves. sauté for a few seconds till the red chilies change color.
switch off the flame and add the asafoetida and turmeric powder. mix very well
stir and immediately pour this tempering mixture on the rice.
add the fried peanuts, cashews, lemon juice and salt. mix very well.
keep the lemon rice covered for the flavors to blend for 4 to 5 minutes.
then serve the lemon rice with papads or vadams and coconut chutney or just have lemon rice plain.
Calories: 641kcal | Carbohydrates: 87g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 1251mg | Potassium: 420mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 13.1% | Vitamin C: 232.4% | Calcium: 7.6% | Iron: 16%