quick and easy one pot method to make garlic dal recipe.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
- 1 cup arhar dal (tuvar dal, split pigeon pea lentils)
- 8 to 10 medium garlic cloves (lahsun), peeled and slightly crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds (rai or sarson), optional
- 1 green chilli (hari mirch) finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 2 tablespoons ghee or oil
- 2.5 cups water, add water as required
- salt as required
pick, clean and wash the dal.
in a pressure cooker heat ghee or oil.
add the mustard seeds and let them splutter.
now add the cumin seeds and fry them.
add slightly crushed garlic. fry the garlic for a minute. we don't need to brown it.
add the dal and the chopped green chili.
add the turmeric powder, red chili powder, asafoetida, salt and mix these with the dal.
add water. close the lid of the pressure cooker and pressure cook for 7-10 minutes.
if the dal appears a little watery then reduce it by cooking the dal in the pressure cooker without the lid. check the salt.
garnish garlic dal with coriander leaves.
serve the garlic dal hot with roti, parathas or rice.