this is an easy, aromatic and light saffron rice or kesar rice recipe
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
- 1.5 cups basmati rice
- 2 to 3 generous pinch of saffron (kesar)
- ¾ teaspoon shah jeera (caraway seeds)
- 2 green cardamoms (choti elaichi)
- 1 tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- 1 inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 2 cloves (lavang)
- 1 strand of mace (javitri)
- 3 to 3.25 cups water
- 1 pinch turmeric (haldi) - optional
- 1.5 tablespoons ghee or oil
- a few coriander leaves or mint leaves for garnish (optional)
- salt as required
rinse the rice for 3 to 4 times in water or till the water runs clear of starch.
soak the rice for 20 to 30 mins in water.
drain the water and keep the rice aside.
making saffron rice
heat oil or ghee in a deep pan or pot.
add all the whole spices including shahjeera.
fry till the spices crackle.
then add soaked rice. stir for 1 to 2 minutes.
crush the saffron with your fingers or in a mortar-pestle and add these to the rice.
add turmeric powder now if you plan to add it. stir.
add water along with salt.
cover the pan tightly and let the rice cook till the grains become separately cooked and absorb all the water.
do check the rice for a couple of times when its cooking.
once done, fluff gently with a fork.
serve the saffron rice garnished with coriander or mint leaves with any dal or indian curry.