This potato pulao is a simple and minimally spiced rice dish made with potatoes.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time12 mins
Total Time42 mins
Servings: 2 to 3
For soaking rice
- 1 cup Heaped basmati rice
- 1.5 cups Water for soaking rice
- 2 Medium to large potatoes Or 200 to 215 grams potatoes
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 1 Tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- 2 Green cardamoms
- 3 Cloves
- ½ inch Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1 Medium onion Or 50 grams onions or ⅓ cup thinly sliced onions
- 1 Sprig curry leaves Or 8 to 10 curry leaves
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 1.5 to 1.75 cups Water For pressure cooking
- Salt as required
- 1 to 2 tablespoon Chopped coriander Or mint leaves for garnish
To be ground to a paste
- 1 Medium tomato Or 60 grams tomatoes or ⅓ cup chopped tomatoes
- 3 to 4 Garlic cloves - chopped
- ½ inch Ginger - chopped
- 1 to 2 Green chilies - chopped
- ¼ cup Chopped coriander leaves Or ¼ cup half-half of mint + coriander leaves
- ¼ teaspoon Fennel seeds
- ¼ teaspoon Cumin seeds
Rinse 1 heaped cup basmati rice very well in water till the water runs clear of starch.
Then soak the rice in water for 30 minutes. Then later, drain all the water from the rice and keep aside.
In a chutney grinder jar or a small grinder jar, take the following ingredients - ⅓ cup chopped tomatoes, 3 to 4 small to medium garlic cloves (chopped), 1/2 inch ginger (chopped), 1 or 2 green chilies (chopped), 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves, 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds and 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds.
Without adding any water, grind to a smooth paste. The juices from the tomato will help in grinding. Keep this masala paste aside.
making potato rice
Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a pan. Lower the flame and first add the whole spices - 1 tej patta, 2 green cardamoms, 3 cloves and 1/2 inch cinnamon.
Next add 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds. Saute till the mustard seeds splutter.
Then add 1/3 cup thinly sliced onions. Saute the onions till they begin to get light brown.
Then add 8 to 10 curry leaves. Saute for 5 to 6 seconds.
Then add the ground masala paste. Mix very well and saute for a minute.
Add 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder. Mix the turmeric powder very will with the rest of the masala.
Add chopped potatoes. Stir and mix the potatoes with the rest of the pulao masala.
Now add the rice. Stir and mix the rice evenly with the masala.
cooking potato rice
Add water. You can add 1.5 cups to 1.75 cups of water. Do add water depending on the quality of basmati rice. Stir very well.
Season with salt. Check the taste of the water and it should taste a bit salty.
Cover and pressure cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 whistles or 6 to 7 minutes.
When the pressure comes down on its own, open the lid and gently fluff the rice.
Garnish with some coriander leaves or mint leaves while serving potato rice. Accompany a raita, salad or pickle by the side.
For cooking potato pulao in a pan or pot
- Saute everything as mentioned in the recipe in a thick bottomed pan or pot.
- Add soaked rice and then 1.75 cups water.
- On a low to medium flame, cover and cook till all the water is absorbed and the rice is cooked. Depending on the quality of rice, you can add 2 cups water too.
Calories: 564kcal | Carbohydrates: 96g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1277mg | Potassium: 667mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 535IU | Vitamin C: 102.5mg | Calcium: 113mg | Iron: 4.5mg