besan chilla recipe
besan ka chilla is a spiced savory gram flour pancakes. chilla is an easy, quick and tasty breakfast or snack.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 6 cheelas
- 1 cup besan (gram flour)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped OR ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 small tomato finely chopped OR ¼ cup finely chopped tomatoes
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 1 small green chili. finely chopped OR ½ to ⅔ teaspoon finely chopped green chilies
- ½ inch ginger finely chopped OR ½ teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- ½ teaspoon carom seeds (ajwain) OR cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 to 3 pinches of turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- ½ to ⅔ cup water or add as required
- salt as per taste
- oil as required
making besan chilla batter
take 1 cup besan in a mixing bowl.
add all the ingredients except water and oil.
now first add 1/2 cup water.
with a wired whisk begin to mix everything. if the batter looks thick, then add 1 to 3 tbsp more water. i overall added 2/3 cup water. depending on the quality and texture of besan, addition of water will be more or less.
mix to a smooth flowing consistency in the batter. break lumps if any while mixing batter.
making besan chilla recipe
heat a tawa or a flat pan on a low flame. you can use an iron tawa or a non stick pan. if using iron griddle or tawa, then spread a bit of oil on the tawa.
let the pan become medium hot. then take a ladle full of the batter and pour on the pan
gently with the back of the ladle, begin to spread the batter.
spread lightly and gently so that the cheela does not break.
on a low flame cook the cheela till the top begins to look cooked.
then drizzle 1/2 to 1 tsp oil on the cheela at the edges and all around.
continue to cook till the base gets light golden.
flip and now cook the other side.
cook this side till you see golden spots on the besan chilla.
fold and serve chilla hot or warm. besan chilla are best had hot. but if you are not able to serve them hot, then place them in a casserole. they remain warm and can be served later.
serve besan chilla plain or with any chutney of your choice.
tips for making besan cheela
- for small kids, skip the green chilies and red chili powder.
- recipe can be doubled or tripled.
- grated veggies can also be added.
- you can also add greens like amaranth, fenugreek leaves and spinach.
- spices can be altered as per your taste.
Calories: 123kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 6g | Sodium: 427mg | Potassium: 213mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 5% | Vitamin C: 6.4% | Calcium: 1.3% | Iron: 5.5%