bhaja muger dal khichuri is one pot meal of rice, moong dal, vegetables that is made during durga puja.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time45 mins
Servings: 3 to 4
- 1 cup basmati rice or govind bhog rice (basmati chawal ya govind bhog chawal)
- 1 cup dhuli moong dal (split and husked moong dal)
- 3 tablespoon ghee or 2.5 tablespoon oil
- 1 inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 2 green cardamom (choti elaichi)
- 3 cloves (laung)
- 1 tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera) or cumin powder (jeera powder)
- 1 inch grated ginger (adrak kisa hua)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi powder)
- ½ to ¾ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing) - optional
- 2 small tomatoes, chopped (optional)
- 1 green chili, chopped (hari mirch)
- 2 small to medium potatoes, ½ cup cauliflower and ½ cup green peas OR 1 to 1.5 cups of chopped mix vegetables like cauliflower, peas, potatoes and carrots
- ½ teaspoon sugar or as required - optional
- rock salt or sendha namak as required
- 5 cups water
preparation for bhaja muger dal khichuri
rinse and soak rice in water for 30 mins.
in a pan slow roast the moong dal till some of the lentils turn light golden and aromatic.
keep on stirring to get uniform roasting and browning.
when the lentils cool, rinse them in water. sprinkle some water on them and keep aside.
just before you begin tempering, drain both the moong dal as well as rice and keep aside.
making bhaja muger dal khichuri
heat ghee or oil in the pressure cooker.
first fry the whole spices till they become aromatic - cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, bay leaf and cumin.
the cumin should also crackle when frying the spices.
now add the grated ginger and saute for a 5-6 seconds or till the raw aroma of the ginger goes away.
add turmeric, red chili powder and asafoetida and saute for 2-3 seconds.
then add the tomatoes and green chilies and saute till the tomatoes become soft.
add the chopped veggies - potato, cauliflower and peas.
stir and saute for a minute.
add the roasted moong dal and saute for 2 minutes.
add the drained rice and stir well.
pour 5 cups water and add salt & sugar.
stir and then pressure cook moong dal khichdi for 4-5 whistles on medium to high flame.
once the pressure settles down on its own, open the lid of the cooker.
serve the bengali moong dal khichdi with baingan bhaja or yogurt and some roasted papads by the side.
- to get a porridge like consistency in the khichdi you can add an additional ½ to 1 cup water.