nankhatai recipe - indian shortbread cookies flavored with cardamom and nutmeg.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 10 large nankhatai
- 1 cup all purpose flour (maida) or 125 grams maida
- ¼ cup gram flour (besan) or 40 grams gram flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoon sooji (fine rava or cream of wheat) or 20 grams sooji
- 2 to 3 pinches nutmeg powder or grated nutmeg or ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg powder (jaiphal powder)
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder (choti elaichi powder)
- ½ cup ghee (semi solid) or butter at room temperature, 80 grams
- ½ cup sugar, 100 to 110 grams sugar or ⅔ cup powdered sugar or icing sugar or add as per taste
- ½ tablespoon dahi (curd or yogurt)
- 1 to 2 tablespoon milk
- few almonds or chironji (charoli)
making nankhatai mixture
powder the sugar finely in a grinder.
then cream the ghee and powdered sugar with a electric mixer or blender. you can also cream in a food processor.
the mixture should become smooth, light and creamy.
sift the following dry ingredients - maida (all purpose flour), besan (gram flour), baking powder and baking soda. keep the sifted dry ingredients aside.
add curd (yogurt) to the creamed ghee+sugar mixture. mix very well.
now add the sifted dry ingredients. also add the sooji (rava or cream of wheat), cardamom powder and nutmeg powder.
gently mix everything. do not knead.
just mix and gather to a smooth dough. if the mixture is too crumbly and you cannot bring together to a dough, then add 1 to 3 tbsp of milk. mix lightly and bring the mixture to a dough.
pinch medium sized balls from the dough.
roll them evenly in your palms. slightly flatten them. press chironji or almonds on the top lightly.
you can also make some criss cross designs on the nankhatai with a fork or toothpick.
place the nankhatai in a baking tray.
keep some space between them as they expand while baking.
bake the nankhatai in a pre heated oven at 180 degrees C for 20-25 mins till light golden.
remove and place nankhatai on wire racks, so that they cool down.
when cooled, store the nankhatai in an air tight container.
- as the temperatures vary in different oven models, keep an eye while baking. if the nankhatais are not baked enough then bake them for some more minutes.
to make nankhatai in microwave oven
- you cannot make nankhatai in the microwave mode of the microwave oven. however if your microwave oven has convection option, then you can use the convection mode (option) to make nankhatai in the microwave oven.
- pre heat the microwave oven in the convection mode at 180 degree celsius for 10 minutes. then bake the nankhatai in the pre heated microwave oven in the convection mode at 180 degrees celsius for 15-20 minutes or till light golden.
Calories: 198kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 26mg | Sodium: 60mg | Potassium: 81mg | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 6.4% | Calcium: 4% | Iron: 8%