spanish fried rice
flavorful and spicy spanish rice recipe also known as arroz mexicana.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time30 mins
- 1 cup rice
- 2 to 3 medium sized tomatoes, chopped OR 2 tablespoon tomato paste OR 1 cup tomato puree
- 2 to 3 garlic - chopped (lahsun)
- 1 medium sized onion - finely chopped
- 1 medium sized capsicum - chopped (green bell pepper or shimla mirch)
- 1 or 2 green chilis - chopped
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder OR ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 to 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 to 2.25 cups water or vegetable stock or as required
- salt as required
heat olive oil in a pan.
add the onions and fry them for a minute.
add the rice to the onions.
saute the rice with the onions till the rice becomes light brown and opaque.
add the tomatoes, garlic, bell peppers and green chilies and continue sauteing for some 2 to 3 minutes.
add the water or vegetable stock. also add salt and black pepper powder.
stir very well. cover the pan and cook the rice on a low flame till done.
in between, keep checking the rice after 6 to 7 minutes intervals. if required then you can add some more water.
cook the rice till its done.
serve the spanish rice hot with green salad or onion tomato salad.