Andhra bendakaya pulusu recipe - andhra style okra curry with tamarind. since tamarind is used, obviously the bendakaya curry will be sour.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time50 mins
Servings: 3 to 4
For tamarind pulp
- 1 tablespoon Tightly packed tamarind (imli)
- ½ cup Hot water
Other ingredients for bendakaya pulusu
- 1.5 tablespoons Oil
- ½ teaspoon Mustard seeds (rai)
- 8 to 10 Fenugreek seeds (methi seeds)
- 1 Sprig curry leaves Or 10 to 12 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 50 grams Onion Or 1 medium onion or ⅓ cup chopped onions
- 50 grams Tomato Or 1 medium tomato or ⅓ cup chopped tomato
- 1 or 2 Green chilies, Chopped (hari mirch)
- 250 grams Okra, 2.25 cups chopped okra (bhindi)
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 teaspoon Red chilli powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 2 to 2.5 cups Water, Add as required depending on the consistency you want, slightly thin or thick
- ½ teaspoon Jaggery (gur) - optional
- 2 tablespoon Chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- Salt as required
preparation for bendakaya pulusu
Soak tamarind in 1/2 cup hot water for 20 to 30 minutes.
After 20 to 30 minutes, prepare the tamarind pulp by squeezing the tamarind in to the water. Keep aside.
When the tamarind is soaking, rinse the okra very well and dry them with a clean kitchen towel. You can also spread them in a plate or a kitchen cotton napkin and let them dry naturally.
Now chop the okra in 2 to 2.5 inches pieces. Thinly slice off the crown and base tip while chopping okra and discard them.
Also chop the onion, tomato and green chilies.
making bendakaya pulusu
Heat 1.5 tablespoons oil in a pan. Add 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds and 8 to 10 methi seeds. Saute till the mustard seeds crackle.
Then add 10 to 12 curry leaves and stir.
Now add 1/3 cup chopped onions.
Saute till the onions turn translucent.
Then add 1/3 cup chopped tomato and chopped green chilies. You can also use dry red chilies instead of using green chilies.
Mix well and saute till the tomatoes soften.
Then add the okra. mix the okra with the rest of the ingredients.
Add 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon chilli powder and 1 teaspoon coriander powder.
Mix the spice powders very well with the okra.
cooking bendakaya curry
Add 2 to 2.5 cups water, depending on the consistency you want in the bendakaya pulusu, slightly thin or thick.
Now strain the tamarind pulp through a strainer and directly add in the pan. Mix well.
Season with salt and stir. Cover the pan with lid and simmer on a low flame till the okra is cooked. Do check a couple of times when the okra is getting cooked. The okra just needs to be tender and cooked. Do not overcook and make okra mushy.
Now add 1/2 teaspoon jaggery powder or add as required. Mix again and simmer bendakaya curry for a minute.
Switch off the flame and add 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves. Stir.
Serve bendakaya pulusu hot with steamed rice.