Churumuri is a tasty vegan & gluten free puffed rice snack that is also a street food in Karnataka. There are many versions of making churumuri across Karnataka. It is very easy to make and gets done in less than 15 minutes.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Total Time10 mins
- 2 cups puffed rice (murmura, mandakki, pori)
- ¼ cup roasted peanuts or masala peanuts or congress kadelakai (bangalore style spicy roasted peanuts)
- 1 teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder
- 2 to 3 pinches turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- ¼ to ⅓ teaspoon salt or add as per taste
- 1 small to medium onion , finely chopped or ¼ to ⅓ cup finely chopped onions
- 1 medium tomato finely chopped or ⅓ cup finely chopped tomatoes
- ¼ to ⅓ cup finely grated carrot or 1 small carrot, grated
- 1 to 2 tablespoons finely chopped raw unripe green mango – optional
- 1 green chilli – chopped – optional
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- ½ to 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- sev for garnish – optional
Peel, rinse and finely chop the onion & tomato. Rinse, peel and grate 1 small carrot. Rinse and finely chop 1 green chilli and some coriander leaves.
Keep aside. In the mango season, you can also add 1 to 2 tablespoons of finely chopped raw unripe green mango.
The next step is to lightly roast the puffed rice. Heat a pan or kadai. Keep flame to low or medium-low. Add 2 cups puffed rice.
Keep flame to a low or medium-low and stir often for 2 to 3 minutes.
Roast puffed rice grains till they are crispy and crunchy. Do not brown the puffed rice.
Place the pan with the puffed rice on your kitchen counter. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder and 2 to 3 pinches turmeric powder.
Also add 1 tablespoon coconut oil and ¼ cup roasted peanuts or masala peanuts or congress kadlekai (bangalore style spicy roasted peanuts).
Season with ¼ to ⅓ teaspoon salt or add as per taste.
Mix the coconut oil, spice powder and salt with the puffed rice evenly. Mix very well. The coconut oil will melt with the heat from the roasted puffed rice.
Now add the finely chopped veggies, green chillies and coriander leaves. For small kids you can skip or add less of the kashmiri red chilli powder and green chillies.
Quickly add ½ to 1 teaspoon lemon juice. You can even squeeze lemon juice directly from halved lemons. You can add less or more lemon juice as per your taste buds.
Mix quickly and serve churumuri straight away. If you serve after some minutes, the puffed rice becomes soggy. While serving you can sprinkle some sev and a few coriander leaves.
- The recipe can be easily halved or doubled.
- You can add less or more quantity of red chilli powder.
- You can skip green chillies if you want.
- Skip coconut oil if you do not have it.
- Lemon juice can be added less or more as per your taste buds.
- Black salt can also be added with regular salt.
Calories: 285kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Sodium: 530mg | Potassium: 461mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 4455IU | Vitamin C: 20.1mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 5.7mg