Aloo chaat is fried crisp potatoes tossed in spicy & sweet chutneys, a few spice powders and then topped with curd or pomegranate arils or sev.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time15 mins
for frying potatoes
- 250 grams potatoes or 2 large or 3 medium potatoes
- 4 tablespoons oil for frying
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon dry mango powder (amchur powder)
- ½ teaspoon chaat masala powder
- black salt or white salt as per taste
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 green chili – optional
- 1 tablespoon sweet tamarind chutney or add as required
- 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon juice or add as per taste
- some pomegranate arils for garnish - optional
Rinse potatoes and then peel them. Chop the potatoes in small bite sized cubes.
Heat 4 tablespoons oil in a frying pan or kadai. Keep the flame to medium. Add the potato cubes. You can fry potatoes in one or two batches depending on the size of the pan or kadai.
When one side become light golden, turn over and fry the second side. Keep on turning the potatoes as required for even frying.
Fry till the potatoes turn crisp and golden. Make sure to fry well so that the potato cubes are not raw or half cooked from the center.
Remove with a slotted spoon. place the fried potatoes on kitchen paper towels.
making aloo chaat
When the potatoes are still hot, take them in a mixing bowl.
Add all the spice powders mentioned above. You can adjust spice powders as per your requirements.
Also add black salt or white salt as per taste.
Add 1 tablespoon finely chopped mint leaves and 2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander leaves.
At this step you can also add 1 green chili (finely chopped) – optional. Green chilies give pungent and hot notes while eating. Add only if you can eat raw green chilies.
Toss and mix well.
Then add 1 tablespoon sweet tamarind chutney and 1 to 2 teaspoons lemon juice or add as per taste.
Toss and mix everything very well, so that the chutney, spice powders and lemon juice is evenly coated on the fried potatoes.
Place the aloo chaat in a serving bowl. While serving you can garnish with some pomegranate arils. You can also garnish with sev if you want.
Serve aloo chaat as an evening snack or a starter snack.
- If you like then you can sprinkle some sev while serving.
- You can even air fry the potatoes instead of frying them.
- Recipe can be doubled.
Calories: 160kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 66mg | Potassium: 377mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 190IU | Vitamin C: 13.6mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 3.2mg