mamidikaya pappu is an andhra style dal made with raw unripe mangoes.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time40 mins
for cooking dal
- ½ cup tuvar dal (tur dal, arhar dal, pigeon pea lentils)
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1.75 to 2 cups water
other ingredients for mamidikaya pappu
- 2 tablespoons oil
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds (rai)
- 10 to 12 fenugreek seeds (methi)
- 1 green chili - chopped (hari mirch)
- 3 to 4 medium garlic cloves - crushed lightly or chopped (lahsun)
- ⅓ cup chopped onions or 1 medium sized onion, chopped (pyaaz)
- 8 to 10 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- ½ cup chopped unripe raw mango cubes (kachcha aam)
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder (lal mirch powder)
- 1 cup water
- salt as required
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
cooking dal for mamidikaya pappu recipe
in a 3 litre pressure cooker, take ½ cup tuvar dal. add ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder.
then add 1.75 to 2 cups water and mix everything. if using a smaller size cooker, then add less water.
pressure cook on a medium flame for 7 to 8 whistles or for 10 to 12 minutes till the dal is cooked very well and mushy. for a smaller cooker, less time will be required for cooking dal.
when pressure settles down on its own in the cooker, open the lid. mash the cooked dal with a spoon. keep aside.
making mamidikaya pappu
heat 2 tablespoons oil in a pan. keep flame to a low and then add ½ teaspoon mustard seeds and let them splutter.
then add 10 to 12 methi seeds and 1 green chili (chopped). instead of green chili, you can use 1 dry red chili (broken and seeds removed) or even can use both.
fry till the methi seeds change color. keep flame to a low or if the pan has become too hot, then you can switch off the flame. then add 3 to 4 medium garlic cloves, crushed lightly or chopped.
fry till the garlic turns light golden.
then add ⅓ cup chopped onions and 8 to 10 curry leaves.
mix and begin to sauté onions on a low to medium-low flame till they turn translucent.
when the onions become translucent, add ½ cup chopped unripe raw mango cubes and ¼ teaspoon red chili powder. mix well. for a more spicy dal, you can add ½ teaspoon red chilli powder.
then add 1 cup water.
cover the pan and cook the raw unripe mango cubes till they soften. in between do check.
cook till the mango pieces have softened. if you press the mango pieces, they should get mashed.
now add the cooked dal. season with salt as per taste.
mix very well. if the dal looks very thick then you can add some water.
cook on a low flame for a few minutes or till the mamidikaya pappu comes to a boil.
then switch off flame and add 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves. mix again. optionally you can garnish with coriander leaves while serving mamidikaya pappu.
serve mamidikaya pappu hot with steamed rice.
1. you can also make this mamidikaya pappu without onions and garlic. add a pinch of asafoetida and some ginger after frying fenugreek seeds (methi).
2. you can make the consistency of mamidikaya pappu as per your choice. add less water for a thicker consistency and some more water for a medium consistency.
Calories: 123kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 46mg | Potassium: 163mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 355IU | Vitamin C: 60.6mg | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 1.1mg