crispy and tasty breadfruit fries. this breadfruit fry recipe is easy to prepare and makes for a delicious accompaniment to any indian meal.
- 2 cups sliced breadfruit (kadachakka or bakri chajhar or neer phanas)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon kashmiri red chilly powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 1 teaspoon salt or add as required
- 3 to 4 tablespoons rava or rice flour or besan
- 3 to 4 tablespoons oil or add as required
rinse 1 breadfruit very well in water and then dry with a kitchen towel. spread a bit of oil on your hands as the hands become sticky when peeling and chopping breadfruit.
then carefully remove the outer peel with a knife or a peeler. rinse again if you want.
now slice the breadfruit vertically in two halves. further slice each halve in two halves. so you will get four breadfruit slices now.
with the knife remove the top spongy part. this is the core portion of the breadfruit. so you need to slice it off completely.
then chop each slice in 3 to 4 mm thickness pieces. you will need 2 cups breadfruit slices. do not make thick slices as then they take a long time to fry. for thick slices it’s better to deep fry.
making breadfruit fry
now take the breadfruit slices in a mixing bowl.
add ½ teaspoon turmeric powder, 1 teaspoon kashmiri red chilly powder and 1 pinch asafoetida (optional). also add 1 teaspoon salt or add as per taste. if using regular red chili powder, then you can add ½ teaspoon of it or if you want a spicy taste then add 1 teaspoon. if you want you can drizzle some lemon juice also.
mix very well. let the marinated breadfruit slices sit for about 5 minutes.
take 3 to 4 tablespoons rava in a small plate. rice flour or besan can be used instead of rava. on occasions i even use rice flour. take each breadfruit slice and place it on the rava.
dredge the breadfruit slice with rava. shake of the excess rava on the plate.
dredge each slice with rava this way and keep all the slices ready before you begin to fry.
frying breadfruit slices
fry in batches. first add 2 tablespoons oil in a tawa or frying pan. then place the breadfruit slices in the oil. fry on medium flame.
let one side become crisp and golden. then turn over and fry the second side till it becomes crisp and golden. you can flip a couple of times more for even frying.
fry the breadfruit well.
remove the fried breadfruit slices and place them on kitchen paper towels. then continue with the second batch and add 1 to 2 tablespoon oil before frying.
serve breadfruit fry hot or warm as a side dish with a south indian or a goan vegetarian main course. you can garnish with few coriander leaves if you want.
- this breadfruit fry recipe can be halved or doubled or tripled.
- instead of rava (sooji) you can use rice flour or besan (gram flour).
- red chili powder can be added less or more as per your requirements.
- you can also add a bit of lemon juice for a tangy taste.
- you can even shallow fry or deep fry if you want.