delicious pesto pizza made with a whole wheat pizza dough, veggies and homemade pesto sauce.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 7 thin crust pesto pizza
for pizza dough
- 3 cups whole wheat flour (atta) OR 360 grams whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon instant yeast OR 3 grams of instant yeast
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup water – you can also add 1.25 cups water OR add as required depending upon the quality of wheat flour
for pesto pizza toppings
- 1 medium onion , cut in 1 cm cubes
- 1 medium capsicum cut in 1 cm cubes
- 1 medium tomato, seeds removed and cut in 1 cm cubes
- ⅓ cup boiled corn or steamed corn kernels
- 7 to 8 black olives , sliced or add as required
- ½ cup pesto sauce or as required
- mozzarella cheese or pizza cheese as required
- dried oregano as required
- dried or fresh basil as required, optional
- red chili flakes as required, optional
making pizza dough
take 1 teaspoon instant yeast (3 grams) in a mixing bowl or in the stand mixer bowl.
add ½ teaspoon sugar and 1 cup water and mix well.
next add 3 cups whole wheat flour, 1 teaspoon salt and 3 tablespoons olive oil.
if you do not have olive oil, use any neutral flavoured oil.
then add 1 tablespoon lemon juice. you can also use 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or white vinegar instead of lemon juice.
attach the bowl to a stand mixer with the hook attachment. on a medium-high speed knead the dough. if kneading with hands, then mix everything very well and then knead for atleast 8 to 10 minutes.
the dough should be smooth, pliable and soft. if the dough looks dry, then you can add some water while kneading. if the dough looks sticky, then you can sprinkle some flour.
spread some water all over the dough.
cover with a lid or a kitchen towel and allow to leaven for 45 minutes to 2 hours till the dough increases in volume and doubles up. if using dry active yeast, then keep for 2 hours to 3 hours or more. timing varies with the temperature conditions in your city.
the pizza dough will nicely increase in volume and double up.
knead the dough lightly again and then you can directly make pizzas from these. or you can keep them covered in a tight box or pan. spread some olive oil all over the dough before placing them in the box.
cover the box or pan with a tight fitting lid. keep in refrigerator or freeze the whole wheat pizza dough. in the refrigerator this dough stays good for 4 to 5 days. in the freezer, you can store for a couple of weeks.
preparation for making pesto pizza
chop onion, tomato and capsicum (green bell pepper) in 1 cm cubes.
keep the veggies aside. i have also added ⅓ cup steamed sweet corn and some olives. you can add your choice of veggies in the pizza.
also preheat oven to its maximum temperature for 15 to 20 minutes before baking.
grease a 9 inch pan or tray with some extra virgin olive oil. sprinkle some flour all over. you can even use cornmeal or semolina for sprinkling.
making pesto pizza
take a medium to large sized pizza dough ball and sprinkle some flour on it.
roll to a thin pizza having 0.3 to 0.5 cm thickness.
carefully lift and place the pizza in the greased baking pan or tray.
spread pesto sauce all over the pizza. you can add less or more as per your needs.
now top with mozzarella cheese or pizza cheese as required.
place the mix vegetables, steamed corn and olive slices.
baking pesto pizza
keep the pizza pan in the center rack using both the top and bottom heating elements in the preheated oven. also keep your oven’s highest temperature. my oven has 250 degrees celsius as the highest. you can also keep the pizza pan in the centre rack.
after the cheese got golden, i kept the pizza pan on the lowest tray and kept only the bottom heating element on. this is to make the pizza base crisp and crusty. in case cheese does not turn golden, then keep the tray either in the centre or top rack and keep only the top heating element on. but do keep a check as this way the cheese gets browned faster and the pizza sides can burn also.
bake pesto pizza for 10 to 15 minutes till the base gets golden and the cheese also melts and gets golden.
before serving pesto pizza, add some dried oregano or red chili flakes or fresh or dried basil if you want. you can also drizzle some extra virgin olive on the pesto pizza before serving. serve pesto pizza hot.
if using dry active yeast or fresh yeast:
- dissolve the yeast in 1 cup warm water + ½ teaspoon sugar solution. cover the bowl and let the yeast proof for 10 to 15 minutes.
- the water should be warm and not on the cooler side or hot. or else the yeast solution will not get proofed or activated.
- when the yeast solution has become bubbly and frothy, then mix it with the whole wheat flour, olive oil, salt and lemon juice. knead to a smooth dough.
- spread some water or olive oil all over the dough. cover the bowl and allow the dough to leaven for 2 to 3 hours or more (depends on the temperature conditions in your city).