methi chaman is a delicious gravy based dish from the kashmiri cuisine. methi is fenugreek leaves and chaman is paneer in kashmiri language.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time35 mins
- 75 grams methi or 3.5 cups methi leaves (fresh fenugreek leaves)
- 40 grams palak or about ⅔ to ¾ cup roughly chopped spinach leaves
- 3 cups water for blanching
- 2 cups cold water
other ingredients for methi chaman
- 2 tablespoons mustard oil - can also use sunflower oil or ghee
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 inch cinnamon (dalchini)
- 3 cloves (lavang)
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric powder or 2 pinches (haldi)
- 1 teaspoon kashmiri red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon dry ginger powder (saunth powder)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder or kashmiri garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania powder)
- 1 teaspoon fennel powder (saunf powder)
- 1 pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- ½ to ⅔ cup water or add as required
- salt as required
- 2 teaspoons sugar or add as per taste
- 200 grams paneer
- ¼ cup low fat cream, 25% to 35% fat or 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- ¼ teaspoon kasuri methi – optional
blanching methi and palak leaves
first rinse both methi leaves and palak leaves in water very well. drain all the water. use a colander or strainer while rinsing.
in a pan heat 3 cups water till it starts boiling. then keep the pan down.
place the methi and palak leaves in the hot water. immerse the greens in the hot water and blanch for 2 to 3 minutes.
with the help of pasta tongs, lift the blanched leaves. place the blanched leaves in cold water. keep the leaves in cold water for 1 minute.
making methi chaman
take 2 tablespoons mustard oil in a pan or kadai. reduce the flame to a low and let the mustard oil begin to smoke.
then add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds, 1 inch cinnamon and 3 cloves. let the spices splutter.
now switch off the flame and one by one add the following spice powders – ⅛ teaspoon turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon dry ginger powder, ½ teaspoon garam masala powder (or kashmiri garam masala powder), 1 teaspoon kashmiri red chilli powder, 1 teaspoon coriander powder, 1 teaspoon fennel powder and 1 pinch of asafoetida (hing).
mix very well.
add the methi-palak puree. then switch on the flame and keep it to a low. mix again.
season with 2 teaspoons sugar and salt as per taste. mix again.
add ½ to ⅔ cup water or add as required. you can make the gravy thick or like palak paneer consistency by adding less or more water. addition of ½ cup water will give a slightly thick gravy in this methi chaman recipe.
mix the water well with the gravy.
on a medium-low flame simmer the methi gravy.
simmer for 9 to 10 minutes. the gravy will thicken and you will see oil specks on top. stir occasionally.
keep the flame to a low. then add ¼ cup low fat cream.
mix the cream with the remaining gravy.
add paneer cubes. you can even fry paneer cubes in 1 to 2 tablespoons oil and then add.
mix and then switch off the flame.
lastly crush ¼ teaspoon kasuri methi. adding kasuri methi gives a good aroma to the dish. but you can skip if you do not have kasuri methi leaves. mix again.
serve methi chaman with roti or naan or paratha. while serving you can top with some cream or some grated paneer.
Calories: 259kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 43mg | Sodium: 922mg | Potassium: 65mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1195IU | Vitamin C: 2.8mg | Calcium: 349mg | Iron: 1mg