Jhal muri is a tasty and very popular street food snack from Kolkata. Jhalmuri is made with puffed rice and other tidbits like roasted peanuts, onions, tomatoes, boiled potatoes, spice powders and herbs.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time5 mins
Total Time15 mins
main ingredients for jhal muri
- 2 cups puffed rice (murmura, muri)
- ¼ cup finely chopped onions
- ¼ cup finely chopped cucumber
- ¼ cup finely chopped tomato
- ½ cup chopped boiled potatoes or 1 medium potato, boiled
- 1 to 2 green chilies - finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped or minced ginger
- ¼ cup roasted peanuts
- 2 to 3 tablespoons sev or chana chur
- 1 teaspoon mustard oil
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or add as required
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh coconut - optional
spice powders for making jhal muri
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder or white pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mango powder
- ½ teaspoon black salt
- ½ teaspoon rock salt or regular salt or add as per taste
preparation for jhal muri
First finely chop veggies like onion, tomato, boiled potato, cucumber, ginger and green chilies. You can even mince the onions and ginger.
Keep them aside.
making jhal muri
Heat a kadai and keep flame to a low or medium-low. Add 2 cups of puffed rice (murmura).
Stirring often roast for 2 to 3 minutes or more till they become crisp and crunchy.
Check a few puffed rice and they should be crunchy and not soft or chewy.
Switch off the flame and keep the pan down. One by one add all the spice powders from the above list of "Spice powders". Also add black salt and rock salt or regular salt as per taste.
The heat from the pan will roast the spice powders and make them aromatic. If the puffed rice you are using are already crisp and crunchy then just roast them for some seconds or a minute. Keep the pan down and then add the spice powders.
Mix puffed rice with the spice powders. Let this puffed rice cool at room temperature before you begin with the next step.
Add ¼ cup roasted peanuts.
Next add the finely chopped onions, tomatoes, potatoes, green chilies and ginger.
Drizzle 1 teaspoon mustard oil all over.
Next drizzle 1 teaspoon lemon juice all over.
Gently mix again.
Add sev. Instead of sev you can also add chana chur (savory mixture like chiwda).
Add coriander leaves. Mix quickly. Check taste and add more salt, lemon juice or any of the spice powders if you want.
Serve jhal muri straight away.
- If the puffed rice you are using are already crisp and crunchy then no need to dry roast them.
Calories: 172kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 922mg | Potassium: 291mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 220IU | Vitamin B1 (Thiamine): 1mg | Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin): 1mg | Vitamin B3 (Niacin): 5mg | Vitamin B6: 1mg | Vitamin C: 9mg | Vitamin E: 1mg | Vitamin K: 3µg | Calcium: 17mg | Vitamin B9 (Folate): 32µg | Iron: 5mg | Magnesium: 34mg | Phosphorus: 71mg | Zinc: 1mg