singapore fried rice
singapore fried rice is one of the fusion rice varieties from the indo chinese cuisine.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time30 mins
for cooking rice
- 1 cup basmati rice or any long grained rice
- 4.5 cups water
- ½ teaspoon salt
for stir frying
- 3 tablespoons oil - sesame or peanut or sunflower oil
- ½ tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 2 to 3 dry red chilies - broken and seeds removed
- ⅓ cup chopped spring onions
- ¾ cup finely chopped or shredded cabbage
- ½ cup finely chopped carrots or shredded carrots
- ⅓ cup finely chopped capsicum or thinly sliced capsicum
- ¼ cup finely chopped french beans
- 10 to 12 cashews or 1 tablespoon roasted peanuts
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder or regular red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder or white pepper powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala powder
- ½ tablespoon soy sauce (naturally fermented or naturally brewed)
- ½ tablespoon red chili sauce or sriracha sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- ½ teaspoon rice vinegar or white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- salt as required
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped spring onion greens
- some chopped spring onion greens for garnish
rinse 1 cup basmati rice very well in water till the water runs clear of starch. then soak rice in enough water for 30 minutes. after 30 minutes drain the rice and keep aside.
in a pot or pan take 4.5 cups water. also add ½ teaspoon salt.
bring the water to a boil on high flame.
when the water comes to a rolling boil, add the rice. gently stir with a fork or spoon.
cook the rice uncovered on medium to high flame. this is the rapid boiling method of cooking rice. hence no need to cover the pan with any lid.
cook till the rice grains are al dente (almost cooked) or cooked well.
then in a colander or strainer, strain the rice. gently rinse the rice with running water. this will stop cooking of the rice. cover and keep the rice aside till it cools down. the rice has to be cooled at room temperature before you add it to the stir fried veggies.
meanwhile when the rice is cooling, you can prep the veggies. you can either shred or finely chop veggies.
you can add your choice of mix vegetables.
making singapore fried rice
heat 3 tablespoons oil in a heavy wok or pan. keep the flame to a low and then add ½ tablespoon finely chopped garlic.
after adding garlic, immediately add 2 to 3 dry red chilies (broken and seeds removed). you can add less red chilies if you want.
fry till the color of the red chilies change and darken a bit. do not burn the chilies.
then add ⅓ cup chopped spring onions.
increase the flame to medium or high and stir fry onions for minute.
then add 10 to 12 cashews. stir fry for half a minute.
now add the mix chopped veggies - cabbage, carrots, capsicum, french beans. mix very well.
on a medium to high flame, stir fry the veggies stirring often.
stir fry for 6 to 8 minutes or till your see some golden spots on the edges of the chopped veggies.
lower the flame. then add ¼ teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder, ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder (or white pepper powder), ½ teaspoon coriander powder and ½ teaspoon garam masala powder.
mix very well.
add ½ tablespoon soy sauce, ½ tablespoon red chili sauce (or sriracha sauce) and 2 tablespoons tomato ketchup. mix again very well.
add the cooked rice. you can add rice in parts if you want. season with salt as per taste. mix very well.
add ½ teaspoon rice vinegar or white vinegar. mix again. check the taste and you can add more of the spice powders, sauces or salt if you want.
add 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped spring onion greens.
serve veg singapore fried rice hot or warm.
Calories: 438kcal | Carbohydrates: 63g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 729mg | Potassium: 415mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 4260IU | Vitamin C: 69.3mg | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 1.7mg