aloo phulkopir dalna recipe
aloo phulkopir dalna recipe - delicious curry made with potato and cauliflower from the bengali cuisine. no onion no garlic recipe.
Prep Time30 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time45 mins
for ginger+green chilli paste
- 2 green chilies or 2 teaspoon green chilies
- 2 inch ginger OR 7 grams ginger OR 2 teaspoon
- 3 to 4 teaspoon water for grinding
main ingredients for aloo phulkopir dalna
- 260 grams cauliflower OR 1 small to medium cauliflower OR 2.5 to 2.75 cups cauliflower florets
- ½ teaspoon salt
- enough hot water for soaking cauliflower florets
- 300 grams potatoes OR 2 cups chopped potatoes OR 3 to 4 medium potatoes
- 5 tablespoons mustard oil (sarson ka tel)
- 2 small to medium tej patta (indian bay leaf)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 150 grams tomatoes OR 2 medium tomatoes OR ¾ cup finely chopped tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon kashmiri red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder (jeera powder)
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder (dhania powder)
- ½ cup water to be added later
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- salt as required
- 1 teaspoon ghee
for bengali garam masala
- 2 green cardamoms (choti elaichi)
- 2 inch cinnamon - if using cassia then use 1 inch
- 3 to 4 cloves (lavang)
preparation for aloo phulkopir dalna
break 1 small to medium cauliflower in medium sized florets and then rinse them very well. you will need 2.5 to 2.75 cups of the florets. take the florets in a large pan or bowl. add ½ teaspoon salt.
then pour hot water as required and let the florets get blanched for 5 to 10 minutes.
later drain all the water and keep the cauliflower aside. do drain well or else the oil will splutter when the cauliflower florets are fried.
meanwhile when the florets are getting blanched, in a dry grinder or coffee grinder take 2 green cardamoms, 2 inch cinnamon and 3 to 4 cloves. if using cassia then use 1 inch of it.
grind to a fine powder. remove the cardamom husks before grinding. you can also crush these spices in a mortar-pestle. remove the masala and keep aside.
in the same grinder add 1 inch ginger and 2 green chilies.
add 3 to 4 teaspoon water and grind to a smooth paste. you can also crush ginger & green chilies in a mortar-pestle. keep aside.
frying cauliflower and potatoes
on a low to medium flame heat 5 tablespoons mustard oil in a kadai or pan and let it come to its smoking point. though i prefer mustard oil, but you can use any other oil.
reduce the flame and then add the cauliflower florets.
mix well and begin to fry the florets on a medium-low to medium flame. fry them in batches.
so when the cauliflower florets are getting fried, you can finely chop 2 medium tomatoes and 3 to 4 medium potatoes. you will need ¾ cup finely chopped tomatoes and 2 cups chopped potatoes.
fry the cauliflower stirring often for even cooking.
fry till you see golden spots on the cauliflower. you just need to fry them till they are almost cooked.
with a slotted spoon remove the ones which are done and place them on kitchen paper towels.
after finishing frying cauliflower, add the potatoes.
stirring them often fry for even cooking.
fry till you see golden spots on the edges and the potatoes are almost cooked.
remove with a slotted spoon. place on kitchen paper towels.
making aloo phulkopir dalna
now in the same pan add 2 small to medium tej patta and ½ teaspoon cumin seeds. saute till the cumin seeds crackle. some oil will be left in the pan, so no need to add more oil.
then add finely chopped tomatoes.
add the ground ginger+green chilly paste.
mix very well and saute this mixture on a low to medium flame.
saute till the tomatoes become pulpy and you see some oil releasing from the sides.
then add the following spice powders - ¼ teaspoon turmeric, ½ teaspoon kashmiri red chilli powder, ½ teaspoon cumin powder and 2 teaspoons coriander powder.
mix very well. then add 1 teaspoon sugar
next add salt as required. add ½ cup water and mix again.
now add the fried cauliflower florets and potatoes. stir gently.
cover the pan with a lid and simmer the gravy for 7 to 8 minutes on a low to low-medium flame.
do check in between and if the curry looks dry then you can add some water.
after 7 to 8 minutes the gravy will thicken and the cauliflower and potatoes will be cooked.
now add the ground masala of cloves, cinnamon and cardamoms. mix well.
then add 1 teaspoon ghee. mix well and switch off the flame.
serve aloo phulkopir dalna recipe with luchi, pooris, chapatis, parathas or steamed rice.
- add water as required.
- you can skip grinding the whole spices if you have bengali garam masala. then just add ½ teaspoon of bengali garam masala.
- you can add more ghee if you want.
- instead of mustard oil you can use any other oil.
- you can also add some steamed green peas in the curry.
Calories: 249kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 692mg | Potassium: 607mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 420IU | Vitamin C: 48mg | Calcium: 46mg | Iron: 3.3mg