ragda chaat recipe - easy and delicious chaat made with dried white peas or safed matar, spices and herbs.
Prep Time9 hrs
Cook Time30 mins
Total Time29 mins
Servings: 4 people
soaking & pressure cooking peas
- 1 cup dried white peas (safed vatana or safed matar)
- 2.5 cups water for pressure cooking
for cooking ragda later
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- ¼ cup water to be added later
for assembling and topping for ragda chaat
- 1 medium to large onion, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 green chilies, chopped finely
- ¼ cup coriander leaves, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice or add as required
- 2 teaspoons roasted cumin powder (bhuna jeera powder)
- ¼ cup sev or nylon sev or add as required (fried chickpea flour vermicelli) or as required
- 5 to 6 papdis, broken into pieces
- black salt or regular salt as required
- few lemon wedges, optional
soaking and pressure cooking dry white peas
pick and rinse 1 cup of dry white peas.
soak the dried white peas in enough water overnight or for 8 to 9 hours.
next day you will see the peas doubled in size. drain all the water.
in a pressure cooker, add the soaked peas along with 2.5 cups water.
pressure cook for 10 to 12 minutes. when the pressure goes low on its own, check if the peas are cooked.
sometimes these peas take a longer time to cook. in case they are not cooked, pressure cook for more 7 to 8 minutes along 1 to 1.5 cups water. the ragda should be cooked till tender, soft and mushy.
preparing ragda for ragda chaat
take the cooked ragda in a pan. keep the pan on a low flame.
then add turmeric powder, asafoetida and salt to the ragda. stir well.
pour ¼ cup water or as required. stir and mix well.
simmer the ragda for 4 to 5 minutes on a low flame.
keep stirring the ragda so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan.
stir well, soon the ragda will begin to thicken. the consistency of the ragda should not be very thick nor watery. switch off the flame. as the ragda cools it will thicken.
assembling and making ragda chaat
take about of half a cup of ragda in serving bowls.
sprinkle some roasted cumin powder and chaat masala.
then add some finely chopped onions, green chilies. sprinkle a bit of black salt or regular salt as required.
drizzle some lemon juice as required.
garnish with chopped coriander leaves. then mix well.
top it with as much sev you want along some crushed papdis. you can also chaat masala, cumin powder and some salt for seasoning.
serve with some lemon wedges and chopped onions along with the ragda chaat. garnish with few coriander leaves.
serve ragda chaat immediately.