instant rava vada recipe - crisp and tasty vadas made with rava (sooji or cream of wheat) as the main ingredient.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time25 mins
Servings: 9 vadas
- 1 cup fine rava (sooji or cream of wheat)
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger (adrak)
- 1 or 2 green chilies - chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves (dhania patta)
- 7 to 8 curry leaves - chopped
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 10 to 12 whole black peppercorns - crushed
- ⅓ to ½ cup fresh or sour curd (dahi or yogurt) or add as required
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- salt as required
- oil as required, for deep frying
making rava vada mixture
in a mixing bowl or pan take 1 cup fine rava (sooji or cream of wheat).
then add ½ cup chopped onions, 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger, 1 or 2 green chilies (chopped), 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves and 7 to 8 curry leaves, chopped.
then add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds and 10 to 12 black peppercorns, crushed.
next add ⅓ to ½ cup fresh or sour curd. depending on the quality of rava you can add ⅓ to ½ cup curd (dahi or yogurt).
now add ¼ teaspoon baking soda and salt as required.
first begin to mix the mixture and then gather the mixture together. do not knead.
once everything is mixed well then cover the bowl and let the rava vada mixture rest at room temperature for 20 to 25 minutes. in case the mixture looks dry, then you can add 1 to 2 tablespoons water and mix again.
below the rava vada mixture after 21 minutes.
shaping rava vada
grease your palms with some oil and make small to medium sized balls from the rava vada mixture.
place them on a zip lock bag or plantain leaf.
flatten them a bit, but not too much.
then make a depression in the center.
frying rava vada
heat oil for deep frying in a kadai or pan.
check a small piece of vada in the hot oil. if it comes up gradually and steadily on top the vadas can be fried.
now gently remove the vada from the zip lock bag and gently place it in the oil.
fry rava vada on medium flame. depending on the size of the kadai you can fry less or more rava vada.
when one side is light golden, then gently turn over each vada with a slotted spoon.
continue to fry all sooji vada till crisp and golden and turn over as needed.
fry till the sooji vada become golden.
remove with a slotted spoon draining the excess oil.
place the fried rava vada on kitchen paper towel. same way fry remaining vadas.
serve rava vada with any chutney of your choice.
few tips for instant rava vada
- mixture should be thick but also should have enough moisture or else rava vada will become hard.
- you can add 1 to 2 tablespoons more water it the mixture looks very thick.
- allow to rest for 20 to 15 minutes.
- add curd as required. no need to add water. if the curd is thick, then you can add some water.
Calories: 154kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 77mg | Potassium: 63mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 1.1% | Vitamin C: 23.1% | Calcium: 15.9% | Iron: 36.1%