Ulli Vada Recipe
Ulli vada are crisp and crunchy onion fritters or pakoda. Popular as a street food snack in kerala.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time40 mins
- 1.25 cups Thinly sliced onions OR 1 large onion - thinly sliced
- ½ cup besan (gram flour)
- 2 tablespoons Rice flour (chawal ka atta)
- 2 pinches Asafoetida (hing)
- ¼ teaspoon Red chilli powder (lal mirch powder)
- 10 to 12 Curry leaves, chopped (kadi patta)
- Salt As required
- Oil for deep frying
making ulli vada batter
Peel, rinse and then thinly slice 1 large onion. You will need 1.25 cups thinly sliced onions. Take the sliced onions in a mixing bowl.
Add ½ cup besan (gram flour) and 2 tablespoons rice flour.
Now add 2 pinches of asafoetida (hing) and ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder.
Next add 10 to 12 curry leaves (chopped) and salt as required.
Mix very well and keep aside for 15 to 20 minutes.
The onions will leaves their juices by this time and the vada mixture will be soft. Mix again. If the batter mixture looks dry then add a few teaspoons of water and mix well.
frying ulli vada
Heat oil for deep frying in a pan. When the oil becomes hot, keep the flame to medium and drop spoonfuls of batter in the oil.
Begin to fry ulli vada on a medium flame.
When one side is light golden, then turn over and fry the other side.
Continue to fry till the vada turn crisp and golden.
Turn over as required while frying.
Once the onion pakoda are crisp and golden, remove with a slotted spoon.
Place the fried onion vada on kitchen paper towels for extra oil to be absorbed. In a similar way fry the remaining batches of ulli vada.
Serve kerala style ulli vada hot with any chutney of your choice.
Few tips for making ulli vada
- You can add a bit of carom seeds (ajwain) if you want.
- Green chilies can also be added.
- Some finely chopped ginger can also be added in the batter.
- Recipe can be halved or doubled.
- No need to add water while making ulli vada batter. Add water only if the batter mixture looks dry.
Calories: 556kcal | Carbohydrates: 14g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 54g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 13mg | Potassium: 129mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 195IU | Vitamin C: 73.8mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 0.9mg