Sweet Lemon Pickle
Sweet, spiced and tangy condiment is this 4 ingredient lemon pickle which is super easy to make.
Prep Time15 mins
Total Time15 mins
Servings: 1 small jar
- 250 grams Lemon OR 6 to 7 medium-sized lemons
- 1 tablespoon Ajwain (carom seeds)
- 3 tablespoons Sugar Or add as per taste
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ tablespoon Red chilli powder
preparation for sweet lemon pickle
Rinse 6 to 7 medium sized lemons (250 grams) very well in water. Then spread them in a clean plate or kitchen towel and let them dry naturally at room temperature.
You can even wipe dry them very well with a clean kitchen cotton towel or napkin.
Before beginning with the recipe, do make sure that your hands, chopping board, knife, kitchen towels, bowls and jar are Clean and moisture free.
making sweet lemon pickle
After the lemons are dried well, take each lemon and cut four sides but keeping the lemon intact and whole. Do not cut through completely. Cut all lemons this way.
In a bowl, squeeze a bit of juice from each lemon piece. Do not squeeze the lemons too much. Keep this lemon juice aside.
In another plate or bowl, take 1 tablespoon carom seeds (ajwain), ½ tablespoon red chili powder, 3 tablespoons sugar and 1 tablespoon salt.
Mix very well.
Now with clean fingers or a small spoon stuff this dry masala in each lemon. Keep the masala stuffed lemons aside.
Then place the lemons in a clean glass jar. You can sun dry the jar for 1 to 2 hours if you want.
Pour the lemon juice which was in the bowl in the jar. You can remove the seeds while pouring the lemon juice.
Add leftover masala if any on the stuffed lemons in the jar.
Sprinkle some salt (about ½ to 1 teaspoon) all over the lemons. This is done so that the top does not get spoiled while the lemon pickle is maturing.
Cover with a lid and keep the jar in sunlight for 4 days. Every day shake the jar. I kept on the kitchen window sill and this place in my kitchen gets a very good sunlight.
Sweet lemon pickle will be ready after 4 to 5 days. Then you can serve meetha nimbu ka achaar with your meals. After 4 to 5 days, refrigerate sweet lemon pickle so that it has a longer shelf life. Stays good for about a month in the fridge.
Tips for making lemon pickle
- Don't cut the lemons entirely. Make incision or cut on four sides.
- Keep in sun for 5 to 6 days or till the pickle has become soft and matured.
- After two days stir the pickle with a clean and dry spoon.
- When making the pickle, ensure there is no moisture on the knife, chopping board and the jar.
- Sundry the jar before you add the lemon pickle in it.
- The recipe can be doubled or tripled.
- Any size of lemon should be used. But they should have juice in them. They should not be dried. So best to use fresh lemons. Avoid using lemons which have become discolored from outside.
- The leftover pickle masala is added in the pickle jar. So don't throw it away.
- Also additionally some salt needs to be added in the jar. Addition of salt prevents the lemon pickle from getting spoiled on the top.