Kerala Parippu Curry is a delicious moong dal curry made with coconut and spices.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time25 mins
for pressure cooking moong dal
- ⅓ cup moong dal or 70 grams moong dal - yellow mung lentils
- 1 cup water
- ⅛ teaspoon turmeric powder or 2 pinches turmeric powder
for coconut paste
- ⅓ cup fresh grated coconut
- 1 green chili, chopped
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 pearl onion - sliced
- ¼ cup water for grinding
- ⅓ to ½ cup water to be added later
- salt as required
for tempering parippu curry
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or ghee
- ⅓ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 or 2 dry red chilies - broken and seeds removed
- 9 to 10 curry leaves
- 2 to 3 pearl onions - thinly sliced
pressure cooking moong dal
Rinse ⅓ cup moong dal (70 grams) in water a couple of times. Then add rinsed moong dal in a 2 litre pressure cooker. Also add ⅛ teaspoon turmeric powder (2 pinches) and 1 cup water.
Pressure cook on medium to high flame for 5 to 6 whistles or for 8 to 9 minutes.
Once the pressure settles down, remove the lid and check the dal.
Mash the cooked moong dal with a spoon or masher. Keep aside.
making coconut paste
Meanwhile, while the dal is cooking, take ⅓ cup grated coconut, 1 green chili (chopped), 1 pearl onion (sliced) in a grinder jar. For a spicy dal, you can add 2 green chilies.
Add ½ teaspoon cumin seeds and ¼ cup water.
Grind to a smooth paste. Add more water if required while grinding.
making parippu curry
Add this coconut paste to the mashed dal in the cooker.
Add ⅓ to ½ cup water.
Season with salt as required.
Mix well and keep the cooker on the stove top on a low to medium flame.
Simmer for 7 to 8 minutes. Keep stirring at intervals so that the dal does not stick to the bottom of the cooker. After 7 to 8 minutes cover and keep aside.
tempering for parippu curry
Heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil or ghee in a small pan or tadka pan.
Add ⅓ teaspoon mustard seeds and let them crackle.
Then add 1 or 2 dry red chilies (broken and seeds removed),9 to 10 curry leaves
and 2 to 3 pearl onions (thinly sliced).
Saute the onions stirring often till they turn golden.
Once the onions turn golden, switch off the flame.
Add the tempering mixture to the dal and mix well.
Serve parippu curry with steamed rice.
Some tips & suggestions
- Instead of pearl onions, you can use shallots or regular onions.
- For coconut paste, add 2 tablespoons onions and for tempering, add ¼ cup thinly sliced onions
- Arhar dal (pigeon pea lentils) can also be used instead of moong dal.
- Depending on the quality of moong dal, it can take less or more time for it cook in a pressure cooker.
- Use ghee if you do not have coconut oil. If you do not have ghee as well as coconut oil, then use any neutral flavored oil.
- While serving, you can drizzle some ghee on the dal and rice plate.
- Desiccated coconut can be substituted if you do not have fresh coconut.
- For a no onion version, just skip them and make the dal curry.
- Recipe can be doubled or tripled.
Calories: 174kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Sodium: 455mg | Potassium: 75mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 290IU | Vitamin B1 (Thiamine): 1mg | Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin): 1mg | Vitamin B3 (Niacin): 35mg | Vitamin B6: 1mg | Vitamin C: 64mg | Vitamin K: 1µg | Calcium: 26mg | Vitamin B9 (Folate): 361µg | Iron: 1mg | Magnesium: 5mg | Phosphorus: 16mg | Zinc: 1mg