thandai is a traditional cooling drink, popular in the northern parts of india. thandai is made with a mix of dry fruits, seeds and a few spices.
Prep Time1 hr 30 mins
Total Time1 hr 30 mins
Servings: 8 glasses
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons almonds (badam) OR 30 grams
- 2 heaped tablespoons pistachios (pista) OR 20 grams pistachios
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds (khus khus)
- ¼ cup melon seeds OR 30 grams melon seeds
- 2 tablespoons dried rose petals OR 2 tablespoons rose water OR 1 to 2 tablespoons gulkand
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds (saunf)
- ½ teaspoon whole black pepper (sabut kali mirch)
- 3 to 4 green cardamoms (choti elaichi) - husks removed and seeds kept
- 1 pinch saffron (kesar) - optional
- ½ cup sugar OR 100 grams sugar
- 1 glass chilled milk
- ice cubes as required
- few rose petals or chopped almonds or pistachios for garnish
preparation for thandai recipe
in a bowl, pour 1 cup warm water.
then add almonds, pistachios, poppy seeds (khus khus), melon seeds, dried rose petals, 1 tablespoon fennel seeds and ½ teaspoon black pepper.
mix very well. cover and keep aside for minimum one hour or 2 hours. if you use water at room temperature, then you can also keep overnight or for 4 to 5 hours.
making thandai paste
after 1 to 2 hours, pour the whole mixture including the soaking water in a grinder or blender jar. do make sure to use a good grinder or blender.
add ½ cup sugar, seeds from 3 to 4 green cardamoms and 1 pinch of saffron.
blend the mixture to a very smooth and fine paste. remove in a bowl and keep aside. you can cover and refrigerate if not using immediately.
making thandai recipe
to prepare thandai, take about 4 tablespoons of the thandai paste in a glass. add chilled milk. you can also use half-half combination of milk and water.
mix very well.
add a few ice cubes.
garnish with rose petals. you can also garnish thandai with some chopped almonds or pistachios.
serve thandai immediately. alternatively, you can prepare the thandai drink in a large mug or jug. refrigerate and then serve.
tips for making thandai recipe
- if using gulkand, then reduce the sugar to ⅓ cup.
- grind the paste very finely, especially if preparing for kids.
- you can even strain the thandai paste if you want.
- you can use peeled almonds if you want. just blanch the almonds separately and then peel them.
- instead of milk, vegans can use almond milk to make thandai.
- the thandai paste keeps well for about a week.
- skip poppy seeds if its not available in your country.